Tuesday, August 21, 2018

The Plague


The weekend before the surprise party I flew out to Ben and Sharley’s to help them get a working bathroom. He had been renovating their master bathroom so it was in pieces and not really functional. In the midst of that, he was in his bathroom one time and thought he heard water running in his wall. He opened the wall and found a leaking pipe along with a whole lot of mold. In one weekend Ben and I were able to tear out the old tub, install a new one and tile the new tub. It was a tough weekend with a dozen trips to Home Depot but we got it far enough along that he can finish it up without too much trouble.
Do you like how my name will now be under his tile for the next several decades?
Sunday I hitched a ride with Alycia and her kids back to San Diego. It was great to have five and a half hours just to sit and visit. We used to do that all the time when she was a teenager and I miss it.
Monday was a normal workday but when I woke up on Tuesday my stomach felt a bit queasy. I didn’t think much of it and figured I would just be careful what I ate and I would be back to my normal healthy self.
Around 9:30 I had to go to the bathroom. After just a few minutes sitting there on the porcelain throne I could tell I was in trouble. I was barely able to finish the job before I found myself kneeling before the porcelain throne. After several violent dry heaves, (remember, I don’t eat breakfasts any more) it was all over. I was no longer nauseous and I no longer had the runs and I felt normal again, but now I was suddenly very tired. I came downstairs and told Lisa that I was going to lay down for an hour before going back to work.
I vaguely remember Lisa trying to wake me up, but that just wasn’t going to happen. Four hours later I managed to drag myself off the couch and got a few hours of work done that had to be done that day, but my mind was quite foggy and I’m sure it was not my best work. Finally I laid back down and Lisa woke me up at midnight to go to bed. I then slept until 8:00 the next morning and it was all over.
As far as I know, when you get stomach issues and it is all over within 24 hours it is almost always food poisoning and I was quite sure it was the leftover steak I ate Monday for lunch. Trevor had barbecued me a delicious rib eye steak and I took the left overs home with me. They sat in Alycia’s hot car for 5 or 6 hours but there was no way I was going to throw it out. It was delicious and I was willing to risk food poisoning.
I then learned that Ben and Sharley were also both throwing up the same day I was. Their symptoms were almost identical to mine. They certainly didn’t eat any of my delicious ribeye steak and I couldn’t think of any other place where we could have all three picked up the same food poisoning but who knows? That kind of stuff can be weird.
If I had doubts about food poisoning before, I was pretty sure it wasn’t food poisoning when Lisa started throwing up on Wednesday. From there it went downhill fast. Alycia started throwing up on Friday and then Sunday was the big day. Sarah, Alex, Lisa (Alex’s girlfriend) and Kira all threw up on Sunday. They all went through the same process as I did, runs, barf, tired. Some had headaches and not everyone recovered as quickly as I did, but otherwise it was pretty much the same. In every case, once your stomach felt queasy you were barfing within the hour.

The sad part was that Alex, Lisa and Sarah all threw up on the airplane. That would make for a miserable trip.
Out of the twelve adults who were here, only Justin, Trevor and Sam escaped the plague.
Sam was really scared. He just got hired on by the Wyoming Highway Patrol and he started training on Monday. He had to take a physical test on Thursday and if he failed it he would have been sent home. No excuses. I’m really glad he escaped, but he was also very diligent about not getting kissy and cuddly with the kids.
The kids pretty much followed the same schedule as the parents with only Freddie, Ella and Piper escaping the plague. I think Kira had the best experience when Evan and Cameron both started puking simultaneously on the plane. It is tough when one kid is puking but with two going at the same time? Poor Kira.
--------------------trivia--------------------

Not once in the Humpty Dumpty nursery rhyme does it mention that he’s an egg
---------------------------------------------------

No comments: