Friday, April 04, 2008

The New Family Crest

Some time ago a decided that I wanted to use the Leavitt family crest on various personal items. I had seen the Leavitt crest and I remembered it being rather boring. I went on line and confirmed that indeed it was quite boring. I then decided that I would make my own family crest. After all, someone had to make it in the first place and I believe I'm just as qualified to make a crest as he was. Well I went to work and what you see here is the result. Now before you laugh let me explain all of the various components to you. The wolf - The Leavitt name can be traced back to Normandy France (in the 1400's) where it was spelled Lovet. Lovet is derived from the Latin word for wolf. The Wolf on the left side of the crest symbolizes our heritage. I also believe it is a fitting symbol since wolves associate as strong family packs and while separate they are formidable creatures, when they fight as a pack they are invincible. The Latin word for wolf could also be translated as a fox too and I personally believe the women in our family are foxes. The Unicorn - On the right side of the crest is a unicorn symbolizing purity. The Hammer - The Leavitt's are builders. My father was a carpenter and my great grandfather was a blacksmith. I feel the hammer represents this well. We all have a desire to build and if we are not building tools and homes we are building character, relationships and people. The Atom - The atom represents our willingness to embrace technology. We all have a strong desire to understand how the world works. The Book - The Leavitt's love to learn. The Lord has commanded us to study all good books. The Sheath of Wheat - The sheath of wheat symbolizes our ability to bring forth the fruits of the field. We can cause the earth to bring forth it's bounty. This also symbolizes our ability and willingness to work in order to achieve something worthwhile. The Olive Branches - The olive branches represent our desire to live in peace. While we are willing to fight if necessary our first desire is peace, not only with our neighbors but also with nature. We are good stewards of the earth. The Banner - Honour, courage and virtue are self evident.

2 comments:

Scooters Adventures said...

I love your Family Crest as I too felt that the others I have found on the internet were boring. I hope you don't mind me using it for my own.

Kyrie (Leavitt, Clevenger) shumway said...

this crest is beautiful! My mother was a Leavitt. Would you let me know if I may use this with my family?!?! please email me if it is ok
kshumway1102@aol.com

thanks
Kyrie Shumway