Monday, September 11, 2023

My Yard

Recorded on Wednesday, April 24, 2023

I have been working on my yard since Covid first started in 2020. I’ve enjoyed the work, but it has been a long time.

The first thing I had to do was to repair our deck. It was ridden with termites and was getting to the point that I was scared to let anyone walk on it. I tore it down to the foundation and rebuilt it. Most of the supporting structure was still good but I did have to replace one strut. Most of the joists were replaced and all the decking and railings.

I then built block walls all around the yard. I separated the flower bed and built a planter on the downhill side, built a wall across the back of the yard, and terraced the uphill side with two short retaining walls.

I then wired the yard to put in flood lights and two outlets. I then plumbed the yard to add a faucet in the back and all the irrigation lines and a drain. I also added power, water and a drain for an outdoor kitchen. I am now to the point that I need to put in the pavers.

Adding pavers is the last step and I’m kind of excited. It will also be the most expensive and the most work. First, I need to dig out all the dirt and back fill with a base compound that is mostly crushed granite. That will need to be packed down. I will then put down a layer of sand and then the pavers.


Saturday, I dug out dirt from about 9:00 until 5:30. It was hard work, like I haven’t done in a long time. I sweat like a pig (that is a funny term because pigs don’t sweat) and drank gallons of water. According to my Fitbit I burned 6,388 calories on Saturday. Here is a graph of my heart rate.

It is good to finally be able to have the end in sight. My goal is to have the yard done enough that we can host Lisa’s 60th birthday party here on June 30. Wish me luck.

I used to include Trivia at the end of each of my posts. I think I will start that again.

-------------------- trivia -------------------
Russia has a larger surface area than Pluto
--------------------------------------------------
 

No comments: