Monday, December 20, 2010

Lunar Eclipse

Alycia called me today to tell me that there was a lunar eclipse tonight. Later tonight Brandon called me to make sure I knew about it. I was very excited to watch it. What is unique about this eclipse is that it is the first time since 1638 that there has been a lunar eclipse during the winter solstice (which also happens tonight). Unfortunately California is currently experiencing the worst storm that it has seen in more than five years. By the time it's all over we expect some area's to get nearly a foot of rain. For a city that only gets ten inches of rain in an average year that's quite unusual. What this all boils down to is that I can't see the moon tonight. That makes me very sad but at least I won't have to get up at 3:00. Instead what I did was search the internet for a camera that is looking at the moon. I finally found one and as of 11:00 pm Pacific time this is what the moon looked like. At least this is what it would look like if I could see it. It is supposed to be fully covered at 3:00 AM eastern time or at midnight here. Since I can't actually see the moon I think I'm going to go to bed and look at a picture of it in the morning.

OK - so I didn't make it to bed right away. Here is the eclipse at 11:30. Now I am going to bed for real.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

We're watching it right now with the kids too! Very cool.

And your pics are much better than what we are getting. ; S

Lisa said...

I remember the days when you would pull the kids out of bed to go and watch something in the sky. I wonder if they remember that? They seem to forget a lot of the things we did with them :)

Fred ... said...

Since both Brandon and Alycia called me to make sure I knew about the eclipse I think that means they remember.