Friday, September 04, 2026

50th High School Reunion - Saturday & Sunday

Saturday morning (Aug 8) was the Cardston parade, and our class had a float in the parade. Barret’s band was also in the parade. They were in front of us, so I saw a bit of them but not very clearly.
Our float couldn’t hold all of us. I may have the numbers wrong, but I believe we had the following statistics.

Total graduated 130
Already passed 22
At the reunion 76

That means that that over 75% of those who could be there were there. I’m not sure what those people who didn’t make it onto the float did.
The parade was quite fun. People were throwing handfuls of candy to the kids, but I decided to take a more “targeted” approach.

I threw all my candy one piece at a time, and I focused on those who may not get as much candy as the others. If I saw a kid standing by himself and not running for the candy, I would throw to him. I threw it into every baby stroller I could find. An old man had his hat sitting in his lap and I threw one into the hat. A truck was parked on the side of the road, and a dad had his daughter sitting on his lap. I threw one into the truck window. Some Hutterites were in the back of a pickup and I threw several into the back of the truck. If I caught someone’s eye, I would throw to them and more often than not, they caught it. I threw some at the Mounties, but they didn’t seem impressed. I did this the entire parade route. It was fun.

At the end of the parade, they decided to drive the float back to the starting line because most of the people had left their vehicles there. They gave everyone plenty of warning, but when the trailer started moving, Ricky Williams wasn’t on the trailer. He ran and tried to jump onto the trailer, but it was high and we were going uphill and we were moving just a bit too fast so he could never make it on. A couple of people were trying to help him, but it wasn’t working out. Darlyn Boyson was in a chair, and she was reaching down to give him a hand when all the sudden she toppled off the back of the trailer, chair and all. Rick, Darlyn and the chair were all rolling down the road.

I thought she had grabbed Ricky’s hand and he pulled her over, but she said she didn’t have his hand. Rick finally confessed and apologized because he grabbed the leg of her chair and he pulled her over. Thankfully Darlyn had the presence of mind to duck and not land on her head. She had a bit of road rash on her upper arm, but she was OK. The float took us back to where the parade started, which was close to where Lisa was watching the parade. She wouldn’t answer her phone, so I used GPS to find her location and walked to where she was.

I wasn’t surprised to find her chatting it up with her newfound cousin Bodie Smith. This is where I need to give you the back story.
A couple of weeks ago Lisa woke up with a strong impression to call Lisa Smith. At first, she wasn’t even sure who Lisa Smith was, but as she thought about it, she remembered that several years ago she had received an email from Family Search telling her that someone had modified the profile of one of her ancestors. She has Family Search set up so that if anyone modifies any of her family on the Shaw line, she gets a notification.

She checked out the notification and found that a woman named Lisa Smith had added a record to her Aunt Jenny or Aunt Jenny’s husband. Aunt Jenny is her great grandfather’s sister. The two Lisa’s exchanged a few emails but then life got in the way and they lost contact.

After Lisa received this prompting to call Lisa Smith, she went through her emails and found that the last time they emailed was in 2014. Lisa fired off a message but never got a response so she started sleuthing. In one of her emails, Lisa Smith told Lisa Leavitt all about her family. She mentioned that she had a son named Bodie on a mission in England.

Lisa tried to find Lisa Smith on Facebook but there were far too many Lisa Smiths, but she did find Bodie Smith and she confirmed it was the right Bodie Smith from some of his mission pictures. They made contact and he gave Lisa his mother’s contact information. When she was talking to Bodie, she learned that he was going to be at the Cardston Parade. That is how they hooked up after the parade. It was cool.

We visited for quite a while and then we made our way up to Atwood Park for a picnic. The picnic was a potluck and there was a lot of amazing food. We visited for a long time and then headed to Lethbridge to visit Fara and her girls.

At one point during the picnic this guy came up to me and said, “Fred, it is good to see you”. He didn’t have a name tag on, so my standard response was, “Hi, you look familiar but you’re going to have to help me out with your name”. He said his name was Joe Paulson.

The name was familiar but, in my mind, I was trying to remember another student. Finally, someone said, “Fred, he was our physics teacher”. It all came back to me then. Physics was my absolute favorite subject in school. His class cemented in my mind my desire to become an engineer. I told him all that and tried to impress on him what an impact he had on my life. I told him that he was my favorite teacher ever, I told him that because of him I became an engineer, I got a graduate degree from UCSD, and I had done projects for NASA, JPL, DOE, NSF and a dozen other government agencies. I would never say that to other students, but I wanted him to understand the impact he had on my life. It was so good to see him.
I finally decided we needed to head to Lethbridge, or I wouldn’t have any time with Fara.

It was good to see Fara, her girls came over and we visited for quite a while.

Fara’s new apartment is quite nice and many of the tenants in her apartment block have formed a nice group that meets often and has parties. She has a good group of friends.

Her girls are currently all living in one house. Tina’s house has two rooms downstairs that she rents out so Karla lives in one of them and Barbie-Joe and her youngest live in the other one. I would love to have all my kids in one place. Oh well.
From Fara’s we went to Pat and Gary’s apartment where we had dinner, visited and then went to bed. After dinner Loni and Todd Snow stopped in for a quick visit.
It was good to see them. Todd just recently received an interesting calling. Todd and Loni live in Raymond but they got a call from the Stake President in Lethbridge asking if he could meet with them. That was strange but they just assumed that he was going to ask them if they could help provide food for a big party they were putting on.
They met and their discussion had nothing to do with food or a party or anything else, it focused in Todds past experience etc. Finally, he asked Todd that if he were to receive a call to be the Bishop over the older young adults in all Southern Alberta would he accept that call. Todd of course said yes and then they left.

As they were driving home, they were quite confused and Todd said to Loni, “did we just receive a call or not?” Several months later they received the call. What happened was that they were creating a new ward and when they sent the paperwork to Salt Lake for approval, they had to have a bishop’s name on the paperwork.

Their ward is for all young adults from 26 years old to 35 years old. I could be wrong on those ages, but you get the idea. Their ward boundaries go from the US border up to Nanton and from the BC border almost to Saskatchewan. They have 600 members and perhaps 150 are active but due to work commitments and other conflicts, they don’t all attend at the same time. Their attendance averages just over 100. They have their work cut out for them.

Sunday morning we attended Sacrament Meeting with Pat & Gary and then ate lunch with them and headed out. Our first stop was Lisa’s mother’s grave site. Lisa put a QR code on her grave marker like we did my parents and then we stopped at the Lethbridge temple site on our way out of town.
It kind of blows my mind that we are getting a temple in Lethbridge.
It is coming along nicely but as I’m looking at it, I see this weird looking pyramid sitting in front of the temple. I thought it was dumb to have the steeple in front of the temple and that it looked ugly.
Lisa then noticed that the steeple was supposed to go on top of the temple, like the picture on the billboard shows.
From the temple we headed to Welling to meet Lisa’s long-lost cousin. We met her son in Cardston after the parade, but Lisa really wanted to meet Lisa Smith.

They live on a farm closer to Raymond than to Welling but I guess they have a Welling address. We visited with them for over an hour and shared memories of the people they knew in common. I think I shared this before, but let me do it again quickly.
Lisa’s Great Grand Father, James Shaw, had a sister named Jennie who married George Edwards. They had a son also named George. George married Helen and they had two sons. One of their sons married and they had a daughter, Lisa Edwards Smith. Lisa’s parents divorced and Helen remarried a nice guy who we met, and he is in the picture. Lisa got married and had a kid named Boedie who I talked about earlier in this post. Lisa then got divorced and married a nice guy with the last name Smith and Bodie took his name. It is quite confusing and I hope I got it right.
In the picture, left to right is me, Lisa, Lisa, Lisa’s husband, Helen (Lisa’s mother), Lisa’s stepfather, Lisa’s daughter (Bodies sister).

We then headed to Great Falls to return our car and catch our flight back to Mesa. The Great Falls airport has this amazing display (if that is what you call it) with a cougar in the middle of a stream cascading down a hill. The whole thing is positioned between the up and down escalators. It was quite amazing.
The big coincidence with this trip is that Kira and Justin headed for Canada the same day that we did and at almost the same time. We also landed within twenty minutes of each other. Unfortunately, we were at different airports. It was late when we got home so we didn’t visit too long. The next morning, we had a relaxed morning and then headed home. I checked with GPS and found that it would only take ten minutes longer to drive home through Arizona’s new Bucci’s, so we went home that way. The drive may have only been ten minutes longer, but you don’t want to forget the extra hour we spent in the store. It was worth it.
It was a great trip, and I visited with a lot of people. 

--------------------trivia--------------------
When growth hormone production decreases as we enter our twenties, thirst perception also decreases.
----------------------------------------------

No comments: