Thursday, September 24, 2026

Daily Repentance

Sunday, August 30, 2026
I was asked to give a talk today. Imagine my joy when I found out that Mandy was also speaking with me. In fact, she was the concluding speaker.

I have copied the message that I prepared here. I was assinged the topic of "Daily Repentance". That is a tough topic. I think I did OK. I felt good about it. Here is my draft copy. 

Daily Repentance

Good morning brothers and sisters, I am grateful to be here this morning.

I always think a talk is better and more relatable if you can share a couple of personal examples from your own life. That’s why I was a little disappointed when I learned that the topic I was asked to speak on was “Daily Repentance”. I mean, I do have many examples that I could share with you, but I couldn’t think of any that I was willing to share over the pulpit.

As I prepared my message though I realized that this is a topic I needed to better understand. In preparing this message I am grateful I was given this topic. This talk is as much for me as it is for anyone else. As I have tried to implement Daily Repentance into my own life it is making a difference.

The first time I ever remember anyone talking about “Daily Repentance” was in a talk given by President Nelson shortly after he became our prophet. I also remember how weird it sounded to me. Up until then I always viewed Repentance as something you had to do when you really messed up. In my mind it was more of a punishment than a blessing. I have taught the five “R’s” of repentance my entire life.

Recognition    Remorse    Reveal    Restitution    Refrain

Did I now have to do that every single day of my life? I wasn’t sure I was going to be a fan of “daily repentance”.

However, according to President Nelson, the very idea that repentance is a punishment is a concept being propagated by Satan. This is what he had to say.

Too many people consider repentance as punishment—something to be avoided except in the most serious circumstances. But this feeling of being penalized is engendered by Satan. He tries to block us from looking to Jesus Christ, who stands with open arms, hoping and willing to heal, forgive, cleanse, strengthen, purify, and sanctify us.

This was a whole new concept to me. As I thought about it though, it became obvious that we do need to repent daily. That is the very reason we were sent here to the earth. We are eternal beings and our Father in Heaven has stated that His purpose is to help us become like Him. That is His Work and His Glory. Have you ever thought about what that means?

That is a lot more than just keeping the ten commandments. We need to be in total control of ourselves. We can’t get angry, we can’t lose our patience, we can’t even think evil thoughts. And then there is the big one, we need to love our enemies. Becoming like God isn’t an event, it is a process. Of course, we need daily repentance because there isn’t a day that goes by that we don’t need to repent of something. Every one of us will fall short somewhere pretty much every day.

At the same time, our Father in Heaven isn’t going to be upset with us if we don’t become perfect overnight, that has never been the plan. His plan is for this process to take a lifetime. That is why we were given a lifetime because that is what it is going to take.

That doesn’t mean that we don’t need to try. If we intentionally sin, with the intent that we will repent later, then that is a different story. But if we are sincerely doing our best to improve ourselves, then daily repentance can actually become a joyful and uplifting experience.

Since I started preparing this message I have implemented a change in my daily prayers. I love it, and I think it will become a permanent part of my life. Now to be fair, I was doing this before to some extent, but it is now intentional and it works for me. At the end of the day in my personal prayers I try and review how my day went. In particular, I try and focus on where I may have messed up. I was surprised at how quickly and vividly Heavenly Father brought those moments of weakness to my mind. I remember when I may have said something thoughtless to another person, or when I lost my cool or maybe I was overly judgmental, or I lost my patience or had an inappropriate thought. I then ask my Father in Heaven to forgive me for my shortcomings and ask for strength to do better.

As I do this, I often see a pattern where I’m asking for forgiveness for the same thing over and over again. If I’m being honest with myself, I then have to admit that maybe I have a problem with that part of my life. I can then focus on that shortcoming and try a little harder to overcome it. Like I said, this is a process and the beauty is that as long as I’m trying, Heavenly Father will continue to work with me. He doesn’t care how many times I need to repent for the same thing. All he asks is that I don’t give up. This is how change happens. A change for good.

Let me quote President Nelson again.

When we choose to repent, we choose to change! We allow the Savior to transform us into the best version of ourselves. We choose to grow spiritually and receive joy—the joy of redemption in Him. When we choose to repent, we choose to become more like Jesus Christ!

I was impressed by something the young woman said who spoke in the temple dedication last week. I’m paraphrasing here but as best as I can remember it, she said, “God doesn’t expect us to be perfect, EVER.”

While that isn’t technically true it is probably safe to say that God doesn’t expect us to be perfect in this life. She then emphasized her point by referring to the temple recommend questions. Many of those questions begin with the words, “Do you strive…?” President Nelson the exact same thing.

The Lord does not expect perfection from us at this point in our eternal progression.

So then why did Jesus command us to “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect”. Matt 5:48

Well, obviously, becoming perfect is our ultimate goal. Our Father in Heaven does expect us to become perfect and He expects us to be working towards that now. He doesn’t expect us to obtain that goal in this life, but He does expect us to be on the covenant path which will take us there. At the same time, He doesn’t expect us to walk this path alone. That is the very reason for the atonement. We can’t grow without making mistakes and if we make mistakes then we need the atonement for us to move on from our mistakes and try again. We are mortal and we are weak, but this is Gods plan. This is how we improve. We grow by using daily repentance to overcome our weaknesses.

We’ve all watched little children learning to walk, they standup and then they fall, they stand up and then they fall again. Eventually they take a step and then fall, then they take two steps and before long they are walking. It is no different for us trying to become perfect beings. When Christ commanded us be become perfect all he was saying was to get on the covenant path and repent every day. He will be there to help us get up and try again. He will help us up as many times and we need him to. So, when Christ said “Be ye therefore perfect…” He was really saying was, repent every day until you become perfect. And the process of daily repentance is not a horrible thing like I used to think it was. It is the exact opposite; it is a joyful experience that brings us closer to God.

Let me quote President Nelson again.

Nothing is more liberating, more ennobling, or more crucial to our individual progression than is a regular, daily focus on repentance. Repentance is not an event; it is a process. It is the key to happiness and peace of mind. When coupled with faith, repentance opens our access to the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

As I was contemplating my topic, I remembered a story I had heard many years ago. I figured that if I couldn’t tell a story from my own life then this story would be the next best thing. The problem was that I couldn’t find it. I then remembered that Dave Evans used this story in one of his talks and with his help I found it. It comes from the book, “Believing Christ” written by Steve Robinson. To do the story justice, I’m just going to read it.

Many years ago, I came into contact with a woman who was, initially at least, one of the roughest persons I have ever known. Abused as a child, she had run away from home and had lived on the streets for years. As a young woman, she traveled around the country with a motorcycle gang. In late middle age, her beauty gone, she spent most of her time in a pub, where some missionaries met her when they went in to get change for a pay phone outside. When she was baptized, many of the members worried that her conversion wouldn't last, and there were good reasons to suspect it might not

For a long time after her baptism, this sister still swore like a trooper, even in Church, and never quite lived the Word of Wisdom one hundred percent. On one occasion during her first year in the Church, she lost her temper during a Relief Society meeting and punched out one of the other sisters. Her ex-husband is an alcoholic, and her children have all spent time in jail.


“When did this woman become a candidate for the Kingdom of God?” The answer of course is that she became a candidate for the Kingdom of God the moment she started “daily repentance”, entered through the gates of baptism and stepped foot on the covenant path. True, she had a long road ahead of her but our Father in Heaven doesn’t care where we are on the covenant path, what He is most concerned about is which way we are headed. As long as we are pointed in the right direction and as long as we keep moving, then we will eventually reach our destination, the Kingdom of God.

I am pretty sure that our Father in Heaven was just as pleased with this woman while she was struggling with the word of wisdom and swearing in church as he is for the “golden contact” who is totally prepared to accept the gospel. Maybe even more so because she has come so far. If she keeps repenting every single day, then she will eventually become like our Father in Heaven.

Over the years, daily repentance helped this woman to gradually change. She eventually stopped smoking, gave up coffee and tea, and gained better control over her temper. After many years in the Church, she was able to go to the temple. Like the widow with her mite, she gave all she had and held nothing back. It may not have been much, but it was everything she had. Every week she took the sacrament, having repented of her mistakes and resolving again to eliminate them. Some things took years to overcome. Other things perhaps haven't been overcome yet, but she still tries, and she won't give up. And as long as she won't give up but endures to the end with a focus on the Kingdom of God, her reward is sure.

The same is true for each of us. If we repent daily, then our reward is also sure.

Close with Testimony

No comments: