Monday, August 11, 2008

Fire!!!

After two weeks off I am now back to work. It is really tough but you do what you have to do. Today I had a wonderful experience and a very frustrating one. The week that we had our vacation Lisa took me to a shoe store where she buys Sarah's shoes for track and cross-country. She had me tested and sized for a new pair of shoes to use for running. While I was on vacation I also took a vacation from running. It wasn't intentional but our days were so packed that when we got home I didn't have time for running and I didn't have much energy for running either. And then at Scout camp it wasn't going to happen either. Today when my Treo reminded me that it was time to go run I was tempted to skip it but I sucked it up and went and put on my new pair of shoes. That is a picture of them at the beginning of this blog. They weren't cheap but they're supposed to be good. What a wonderful experience. It was like floating on air and they are so light (compared to my old Costco specials) that I thought I was bare foot. So that was the wonderful experience, the bad one was that it was like starting all over. It is quite astonishing how out of shape you can get in two weeks. I cut my run short today and I will work my way back up to my three miles.
-------------------------------------------
As long as I can remember I've always thought it would be cool to be a fireman. After we moved to Rosemary and I learned that they had a volunteer fire department I really wanted to be a part of it. I didn't dare ask anyone until we got to know the people better. As I've mentioned before, however I'm not the most extrovertive person so it is really a good thing that I'm married to Lisa. She is the very definition of an extrovert. Once again, I can't remember everyone's names but I do remember Harold and Rick Unruh, Rudy Lepp and some Newman guy. I loved going to the meetings. We would meet at the fire hall (12) to check out the equipment and learn how everything worked and then take the fire truck out and practice with the hoses and I loved it all. The town even paid us but instead of taking the money what they did was at the end of every year the guys on the crew decided to go to a fancy restaurant in Brooks and have a big dinner and a fun time together. I loved it. And then came my first fire. It was only a small brush fire out in someones field and we put it out very quickly. I don't think it was started by any crashing hot air balloons. One night in the middle of the night the phone rang. I'm not sure why Lisa has me answer the phone at night because I don't wake up very well. We would be much better off if she answered the phone because she actually wakes up. In any case, I groggily answered the phone and the person on the phone quickly told said, "fire at someones' barn!!" (I can't remember who's) That is what she said but that is not what my brain registered. I groggily answered, "OK, thanks" and then I went back to sleep and missed the biggest fire that happened in the entire ten years that I lived in Rosemary. How said. The guys talked about that fire for months and I missed it. I wasn't there but I believe the barn was a total loss.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm glad you love the shoes and they won't turn your toenail black! You need to be good to your feet.

Lisa said...

I think the funniest thing the fire department talked about and what they wouldn't let you live down was when "our" shed burned down!!!

Lynn said...

Oh, I need a good pair of shoes too. What kind are they??? Maybe I can find them on-line.
I do know what you mean about taking a break from your regular routine. It is SO brutal starting out again. Or starting something different. I did that yesterday and I thought I was going to be sick. I can see that I need to change up my routine more often so I am use to that.

That IS the funniest fire story ever. I had no idea. Hmmmm.....you do remember that Rudy is my Brother in law, eh? MAybe I should see what his memory of it all is. LOL! Kidding.

Fred ... said...

The shed is a story for another blog. That was very funny. Lynn, I would love to hear any stories Rudy might have about my fire department days. Ask him about my shed, he'll love to tell you about that.

Kira said...

so sad dad. Cool Shoes!

Anonymous said...

Lynn has just "forced" me into my first blog! I haven't had time to look through to much of this but it is good to get an update on your life Fred. It also brings back some memories.
You definitely missed the biggest fire of the decade. The fire was at the Neil Klassen farm. My memory is not that great, but it seems to me that, at least according to Rosemary folklore, on the night of the fire when you answered the phone you were not quite awake, and thought the caller said "There's choir at Klassen's. The story goes on that you said to yourself, "Now why would I go to choir at Klassen's.........I don't even know them........especially in the middle of the night" and promptly went back to sleep.
As for the shed fire, I do not remember any details, all I know (and I'm not sure if you know this) is that that little incident resulted in you receiving a nickname. I might add that you could and probably would be referred to by many by that nickname today, in fact our son Scott uses it as a team name for some of his online sports teams. Since the day the shed burnt down you have been known as No Shed Fred!!!

Anonymous said...

The picture of the Enginner and the Supervisor is priceless.