Sunday, August 10, 2008

Scout Camp & Curling

What a great week this was. Last Sunday, right after church we loaded up the cars and headed for the mountains. Scout camp was just outside of Idylwild which is in the mountains above Palm Springs. This year we only had four scouts go so it was a real easy week for me. We'd make sure the scouts got into their classes and then it was free time for me until lunch time. We had a lot of fun. At these camps you can just pay to eat at the cafeteria so we didn't even have to worry about cooking. Saturday morning we loaded up and headed home and then I started preparing for my talk that I had to give in church today. The topic was obedience. I think I did OK. A lot of people told me I did so that always makes me feel a lot better.
-----------------------------------------------------
The "lake" where the kids learn canoing etc. It is full of seaweed and is quite gross to swim in.
-----------------------------------------------
Flag ceremony, we did flags on Friday evening.
----------------------------------------
When the kids get a pocket knife the first thing they do is sharpen a stick. I wanted to show them that they can do a lot more with a knife than just sharpen a stick. I took a stick and carved a heart out of it. They were all quite amazed. I'm planning on giving the heart to Sarah for her birthday. She's probably the only one of the kids who won't think it is too corny.
-----------------------------------------This is the heart that I carved out of a stick
---------------------------------------------
I took a book to read but it didn't last past Wednesday. I finished it way too soon.
-----------------------------
Camp Emerson has a nice pool. The weather was on the warm side so it was nice to cool off once in a while.
---------------------------------
Our campsite
----------------------------------------
One scoutmaster from each troop was able to compete in a rifle competition. The highest score was a 52 and I came in fourth with a 48. We had three shots to figure out how our rifle was shooting. My gun shot about four inches high and four inches to the right. I could have done much better if I had a chance to get used to it. At least that is my excuse.
---------------------------------------
I can't remember who it was but at one point while I lived in Rosemary someone invited me to join their curling team. I had never even dreamed of curling before but I was quite excited. I really wish I could remember who invited me but what a blast we had. I wasn't great but I wasn't bad either. Our team didn't win but we did well and gave everyone a run for their money. As I think back on it all I'm amazed at everything Rosemary has to offer. Who would have dreamed that they would have a curling rink. I'm really grateful I had that opportunity. I love it when I can tell people down here in San Diego that I curled when I lived in Rosemary.

3 comments:

Kira said...

I didn't know you curled!!! I would love a heart, feel free to make me one :-)

Lynn said...

Nice carving Fred! really nice!
That pool looks like it's a whole lot better to swim in than the Lake, that's for sure.
I did not know you were on one of the curling teams either. That was one of the option classes we did for High School Gym class. I just could never get the hang of it. Way to go.

Lisa said...

Just for the record Fred did very well on his talk. I've had several people tell me what a great job he did. I knew he would do well but I think it was one of the best he has ever given. We were proud of him!! I didn't like curling just like I don't like golfing. They are both too boring and slow for me.