Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I Love Commenters

Today I would like to dedicate my blog to commenter's. I write my blog for myself and not for others to read but having said that, every morning the first thing I do after I get into work is check to see if anyone has commented on what I said the day before. I love to read peoples comments. I don't care if they're positive or negative, I just like to see what people thought. The clear winners are Kira and Lynn. Lynn has a private blog or I would definitely have a link to her. She is the daughter of some good friends of ours in Rosemary and it so happens that she married the son of another good friend of ours in Rosemary. They now live in Calgary and are raising their own little family and I love to share in her experiences as a mother. Kira of course is our oldest and she is pretty consistent with her own little blog. They are very faithful commenter's and I only wish I could be as good as they are. Coming in third as a commenter is Lisa but lately she is pretty much up there with Kira and Lynn. Because of how much I enjoy comments I do try to make a conscientious effort to post comments on other peoples blogs but sometimes I'm just in a hurry and even though I read them I don't take the time to comment on them. Following the golden rule I will try and improve so watch for my comments. I would love to hear from the rest of you. I have no clue how many people actually read this thing.
--------------------------------------------------
The town of Rosemary had quite a few resources for such a small town. They had Harry's General Store (13) where you could buy pretty much any type of groceries or household supplies that you might want plus they even had a gas pump if you were really desperate and willing to pay the higher prices. They had a bank, a little Treasury Branch (14), they had a coffee shop (15) and they had a furniture store called R W Furniture (16). We bought our kitchen table and two recliners from them. And then, of course, they had the post office(17). What more could you want in a town? We were box 57. Sherry Dyck used to work at the little post office but she finally got tired of being there every morning and one day she asked Lisa if she would want to take Saturday mornings. It worked great for us because it gave us a little extra spending money and it really didn't cut into our Saturday schedule. Our schedule had normally been a) kids get up early and watch cartoons, b) Lisa can never sleep past 8:00 so she would get up and clean up the mess the kids made and then c) I would get up around 9:00 or 10:00 and start on all the odd jobs that didn't get done during the week. The only thing that changed was that instead of cleaning up after the kids Lisa went on into work and when I got up at the same time I always did I would clean up after the kids and I started a tradition where I made pancakes every Saturday morning. By the time I had the pancakes made it was time for Lisa to come home and she would eat with us. I have many fond memories of us eating pancakes on Saturday morning (well, maybe it was closer to noon but morning to us). Once in a while I would take the kids all down to the post office to visit with mom.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Fred,
I have always enjoyed reading about your international travels through e-mail, and now on your blog. And I after I read everything I forward it to Rick's computer downstairs. What's interesting about all this we now talk about things like motorized bikes, Staycationing, etc. Your writing has given us some things to ponder and talk about as a family.Keep up the good writing. Karin and Rick Cahoon in New York

Fred ... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynn said...

Hey, you just proved my point. What a great team you and Lisa make. What an awesome Saturday routine.

That little treasury branch is where we always sat in front for the Canada Day Parade. That's the "Easter's Spot" every year. Sadly they tore the building and the tree down last year and so this summer we had no shade in "our spot". I am SO happy to see you have a picture of it. I am going to save it.

As for the banking? Rosemary is moving up in the world. They have the bank and ATM machine over in the Post office now.

Brandon J. Leavitt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandon J. Leavitt said...

Alright dad, I dont write for the comments but I sure love getting them so I guess I'll start giving back. As far as popularity goes, I read all the family blogs from an automatic newsfeed I set up with Google. The feed happens to give information on how many people subscribe to a particular blog and you have 4 subscribers. I have only one (i.e. just me), Nancee 2, Alycia 2, Sharley 5, and Kira 15. So assuming everyone in the family reads your blogs and me and Kira are the only ones who know how to put up a newsfeed you probably reach at least a few people outside the immediate family. I sometimes get comments from complete strangers (only sometimes).

Lisa said...

I think we also bought our entertainment center from the Unruh's. I loved working at the post office because I got to visit with everyone. Do you remember how the kids favourite thing to get from Harry's General store were the blue fish and mojo's. Do they even make mojo's anymore? Oh, and sometimes you would take the kids fishing on Saturday mornings while I worked remember?

Anonymous said...

aw your so cute dad!!!

Kira said...

how come I don't remember mom working at the post office? I remember Amy's mom, but not mine. I do remember the late morning pancakes though. :-) Thanks for the tribute :-)

Kira said...

It is so hard to find blue whales now. Lori searched for months for me. They are sometimes at the superstore, and I always get them when I see them. I still LOVE them, but I don't know if it is because they are good or because of the memory.

Lisa said...

Kira, do you remember your friend Natasha that I used to babysit and her mom was Sherry Dyck that worked at the post office? It was during that time. If you can remember Natasha that might register a memory or two. Maybe you'll remember that Alycia bit the feet off her of her barbie at our house one time. She was pretty upset about that!!