Monday, March 07, 2011

Ragnar Relay

A few months ago Alan Bird asked me if I wanted to run a Ragnar Relay with him. I immediately said yes but since I was very concerned about what poor shape I'm in I told him that if he ended up getting enough people then I would not be offended in any way if he needed to bump me due to an excess of people who wanted to participate. So far he hasn't thrown me off the team. For those of you who are not familiar with the Ragnar Relay it is a 200 mile race. We have twelve people on our team and each person runs three legs of the race. 


This particular race starts in Huntington Beach, goes over to the I-15, south through Lake Elsinore and then follows the 76 back to the beach, all the way down south of the Coronado bay and then up the Silver Strand. The third leg of the run goes within a block of Ben's apartment building and Ben told me that if I run that leg he will join me for the run. I've begged Alan to let me be runner number three and he said it should be possible. I was anxious to accept the invitation to be on the team because after my surgery I've never really gotten back into running and my waist is beginning to show it. I thought this would force me to get back into the groove. Well I managed to procrastinate my training until it was almost too late but come the middle of February I thought I'd better get going or I was going to be really hurting. Since then however I have run nearly every single day except Sunday. 



I started out slowly only running a mile a day and I've gradually added an extra mile a week. Last week I ran nine miles and this week I'll run ten miles and the week before th race (which starts April 15 and finishes April 16) I'll run fifteen miles. The first couple of weeks I was really wondering what I'd gotten myself into but now I'm starting to enjoy it again. I'm also starting to relax about the race. I'm quite sure I'm not going to die now. My hardest leg of the race is my last one but it is six miles running along the coast so I'm really looking forward to it. If I get the position I'm hoping for I'll be runner number three meaning I will run leg #3, #15 (which I think will be in the middle of the night) and #27. Lisa is actually supporting me in this by volunteering to help with the race. She is going to be working station #27 so she can care for my broken body when I finish my last run. 


I think next year we need to gather up twelve people in the family and we run this race as a family. We'll need everyone. 






Me

Lisa
Justin
Kira
Brandon
Serene
Ben
Sharley
Trevor
Alycia
Sarah

Darn, that's only eleven people and we need twelve. Sarah needs to get married or else we'll wait until Alex gets home. I think I want to wait until Alex gets home.


--------------------trivia--------------------
The average velocity of an air molecule at room temperature 
is 2,000 miles per hour.
----------------------------

2 comments:

Maren Romney said...

So fun! I love those races!
Good Luck!

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

This is so cool dad! I love it :) I am so down for doing it with the family!