Sunday, October 16, 2022

Dislocated Finger

For those who may not know, Brandon and Serene divorced last February. Just after Christmas I went out to help him as he moved out of his house on January 6th. He didn't really need physical help but I was there for moral support. That has got to be a very difficult task.

Brandon had found a very nice apartment that was only a couple of miles from his family and his apartment was brand new. He is on the second floor which made moving in a bit more difficult but it keeps him away from all the traffic and he has a balcony that overlooks the central courtyard which has a huge pool. Not much fun in January but it will be great in the summer.
We moved while the kids were in school so that would be less traumatic and just as we had everything moved in we went outside to meet a moving truck which was delivering his furniture when I stepped half on half off the curb and tripped. As I landed I put my hands out to catch myself and rolled forward on my hands bending my finger back. I felt the finger pop and stood up to see this.

I didn’t know if it was broken or dislocated but the first thing I thought was that I had to get my ring off. Alas, it was instantly so swollen that I didn’t have a chance. Brandon gave me his car and I left him to take care of his furniture and off I went to the Mansfield Methodist Hospital which was very close to his apartment.

I told the nurse at the reception desk that I didn’t mind waiting but I really didn’t want the lack of blood going to my finger to make me lose my finger. They put me at the head of the line and before long I was in the examination room.
The nurse came in with a small Dremel tool but it was killing me to put the little protection plate under the ring so they wouldn’t cut my skin. I finally asked if I could just cut the ring off myself. She handed me the machine and told me to have at it. It was sad but a huge relief to have blood flowing once again to my finger.

They X-rayed my finger and confirmed that it was dislocated with a tiny evulsion fracture so he froze the finger and pulled on it to set the joint. I was sure glad the finger was frozen because he pulled very hard about five times before he got it set. He splinted the finger and told me to have my doctor check it out once I got home. The pain went away quickly but only now in April is my finger nearly back to normal.


No comments: