Tuesday, October 31, 2023

The Party

Thursday, July 20, 2023

Last May I was making good progress on my yard, and I figured it would be fun to throw a birthday party for Lisa in our back yard. Being my optimistic self, I figured that I could have the yard done with no problem. I recruited my kids who all thought it was a great idea. I figured we could just buy some finger food from Costco, and I could barbecue hamburgers, but Ben suggested that we should hire a taco truck. It cost more than I was expecting but thinking back, I am so glad that I didn’t have to spend the evening at the grill.

Of course, most of the kids had a conflict on the weekend after Lisa’s birthday so after some negotiating back and forth, we figured four of the five kids (and spouses) could make it June 30, the weekend before her birthday. With Alycia’s help we drafted up an invitation and I emailed it out on May 10. Here is a copy of the original invitation. 


Dear Friends & Family;

Lisa turns sixty this summer and the best gift I could give her is to let her celebrate this special occasion with as many friends and family as can make it.

While Lisa loves a good surprise party, her desire to get involved in everything will make it impossible to have a true surprise party. While she knows something is happening, she has no idea exactly what, or who will be there. If possible, please don't let her know that you are aware of anything, but if you slip, it is no big deal, like I said, she knows something is up.

The only gift she will want is your presence and friendship.

There is no way I can possibly know who all of Lisa's friends are, so if you know of someone who would like to be there, please forward this invite to them. Everyone is welcome.

Fred

Food will be served so please help me get enough food by letting me know if you will be there by clicking here.

Over the course of the next several weeks this invite was sent to 276 people. The response was fast and furious. Ultimately 179 people RSVP’d and 140 people confirmed that they would come. On June 5, I sent out a reminder to those people who never responded to the first invite.

Hello Friends & Family;

If you're getting this second message it is because I didn't hear from you after the first message. 
Just in case you do want to come and simply missed the first email I thought I'd send a reminder. 
Even if you can't make it you might want to click on the link below and send Lisa a message. 

Thanks for being an important part of her life.

Fred

As the big day approached I began to get nervous. Several issues arose that delayed my progress and the entire month of June I didn’t work a single hour on my smoker project and spent long days in my yard. It was back breaking work as well and it was a very miserable month for me but I kept telling myself that it was worth it. First, I wanted to do this for Lisa and second, I would have the rest of the summer to enjoy my beautiful yard. I guess a third would be that I didn’t want to embarrass myself in front of 140 people when they showed up.

The yard would never have been possible without the Andrew family. Jeff and his son Zander minister to our family and Jeff spent every Saturday and many week days and evenings in my back yard working with me.

This is even more of a sacrifice for him because he had two major herenia’s during the whole process. In fact he had hernia surgery on May 26. Even after his surgery he came over and did some work. He was in a lot of pain before and especially after his surgery. He may have violated his ten pound restriction on lifting.

While I didn’t expect this much help from Jeff and his family, I got very concerned when he was no longer able to help so much. Jeff did continue to send his wife and kids over to help and he would also come over in his zero gravity chair and supervise the operation but progress slowed a lot without his direct involvement.

Even still, it wasn’t two weeks before he was digging dirt and jack hammering concrete, something both me and Tiffany were really concerned about but there was no stopping him.
On June 28th Jeff, Tiffany and their oldest, Zack headed to Florida and I lost them completely. But I was able to get the yard in acceptable shape without them. The pavers arrived on June 20. I laid the last paver on June 27. The sod arrived June 28 and I laid the last piece of sod June 29th. The party started June 30th. That was curring it pretty close.

Kira and her kids arrived Sunday (June 25) and Alycia’s kids arrived June 28th after I had most of the sod down. Elle was completely amazed at the back yard and told me that I had done a great job and that I had the best back yard in the neighborhood. There are still a LOT of loose ends to be tied up in the yard but it was good enough to have the party there. I was a little worried what people would think so I sent the folllowing emial out on June 25 giving people a heads up.


Hello Friends,

Lisa's big party is just a few days away and I am getting excited. If you are getting this email it is because you confirmed that you will be joining us for the party. If things have changed that will prevent you from coming, please respond to this email and let me know.

As a reminder, the party is this Friday (June 30) at 6:00pm and will go as long as you want to stay. If you know Lisa, she will stay up all night visiting if someone will stay and visit with her.

Our address is:

13445 Thunderhead St
San Diego, CA 92129

I feel I need to give you a warning, I have been working on my backyard for a few years now and I thought this party would be a great time to show it off. I am an eternal optimist, so back in March when I decided to throw this party I figured I would have the backyard finished by June 30 with no problem. While my yard won't be finished, I think it will be good enough. All I ask is that you don't judge me too harshly when you see things that need more work.

I can't wait to see you all,

Fred
858-761-1990

The original invitation was sent out to the following people. While many of them were unable to come, due to distance and summer vacations, half of them made it. No one took a count but I would estimate that through out the evening we had about 120 people show up to say hi.

Karyn & Richard Alsup, Anne Anderson, Jeff & Tiffany Andrew, Tina Atwood, Danny Austin, Ashley & Ryan Aylesworth, Dave & Wendy Bagley, Judy Bair, Jim & Jeanette Bausum, France & Regan Beecroft, Warren & Frances Beecroft, Cindy Behr, Kevin & Linda Bessey, Alan & Melani Bird, Dana & Dave Black, Jesse & Holli Blankenbiller, Roberta Blazer, Rex & Chris Bosen, Rachel Bowman, Lori Brown, Jenn Berstedt, Kendalee Butler, Rick & Karen Cahoon, Connie & Dave Calder, Patrick Carey, Dave Chappell, Phil Cheung, Phylis Cheung, Liz Clark, Meagan Collins, Courtny Jennings, Frank Criger, Alycia Crowley, Trevor Crowley, Kandice Crowther, Shawn Crowther, Rick Daynes, Robin Daynes, Lorraine DiPietro, Pat Donahoe, Ruth Eden, Jearaldine Ellsworth, Ken Ellsworth, Dave Evans, Diane Evans, Heather Fabian, Omar Fabian, Carrie Farnes, Larry Farnes, Jay Farnes, Marla Farnes, Jessica Fietze, Jamie Foote, Kristin Foote, Ross Foote, Leslie Garcia, Carol Gibb, Don Gibb, Michelle Godinho, Greg Gosch Pam Gosch, Gail Graves-Street, Erin Gray, Matt Gray, Mike Gray, Niki Gray, Marlin Griffin, Susan Griffin, Todd Groesbeck, Pam Hall, Anna Hamrick, Arlen Hansen, Brian Hansen,Caitlin Hansen, Greg Hansen, Cami Hansen, Mark Hansen, Dixie Hansen, Eric Hansen, Jeff Hansen, Brenda Harris, Rachel Hartenstein, Brad Hatch, Patti Hatch, Mary Ann Havertz, Brent Haws, Connie Haws, Ariel Hawthorn, Dave Hawthorn, Gaylene Hawthorn, Ben Heaton, Desiree Heaton, Lorraine Henry, Lacy Hilton, Rob Hilton, Jim Hodder, Lori Hodder, Barbara Hodges, Carol Hudson, Derek Hunsaker, Jennifer Hunsaker, My-Nga Ingram, Lea Jack, Andrea Jackman, Robin Jackman, Bev Jafek, Rob Jafek, Diedra Jarding, Jason Jardine, Cathy Jarmin, Doug Jarmin, Sunny Jerome, Alyson Johnson, Courtney Johnson, Jamie Johnston, Spencer Johnston, Andre Jones, Lisa Jones, Kathy Marx, Kyle Knaphus, Rebecca Knaphus, Brenda Knowlton, Becky Kooyman, Carsten Kooyman, Sandesh Kukian, Yuli Kukian, Kathy Lam, Alex Leavitt, Ally Leavitt, Andrew Leavitt, Ben Leavitt, Brandon Leavitt, Byron Leavitt, Fred Leavitt, Gaylia Leavitt, Greg Leavitt, Jared Leavitt, Lisa Leavitt, Michael Leavitt, Peter Leavitt, Phillip Leavitt, Robert Leavitt, Serene Leavitt, Sharley Leavitt, Shelly Leavitt, Irene Leung, Gloria Lew, York Lew, Bill Libby, Dolly Libby, Dave Lilly, Joni Lilly, Claudia Lincoln, Nancy Linnell, Randy Linnell, Dave MacMartin, Kathy Madsen, Randy Madsen, Tess Mahlo, Kathy Marx, Curtis McConnell, Thomas McCormack, Vicky McCormack, Craig McPhie, Marilyn McPhie, Kelli Mergens, Dave Moehle, Diane Moehle, Nancy Mori, Steve Mori, April Muir, Rick Muir, Rachel Neumann, Fara Nickyforuk, Alan Norton, Gary Norton, Pat Norton, Steve Norton, Louise Nygaard, Marty Nygaard, Many Odenwalder, Peter Odenwalder Erin Okane, Lauren Olds, Richard Olds, Aaron Olsen, Cari Olsen, Justin Palmer, Kira Palmer, Jared Papin, Monica Papin, Laura Peterson, Linda Peterson, Scott Peterson, Dave Pine, Tracy Pine, Wendy Pine, Stephani Pitman, Roger Platt, Wendy Platt, Dan Poffenberger, Laura Pomeroy, Time Pomeroy, Ariel Racine, Caroll Richardson, Marie Riches, Mark Riches, Bob Riding, Diane Riding, Susan Rose, Kelly Roundy, Mickey Rowe, Tiffany Russel, Mahonry Sanchez, Molley Sanchez, Melissa Sander-Hansen, Beth Sczempka, Joe Sczempka, Tamara Seiter, Lexi Sharp, Steve Sharp, Boyd Shaw, Carol Shaw, Stacee Shiner, Marissa Shoemaker, Rebecca Smith, Monetta Smoot, Karla Somerfeldt, Del Stapley, Shelley Stapley, Shannon Stoven, Amy Summers, Mark Sutherland, Tricia Sutherland, Kari Swendsen, Sam Taylor Sarah Taylor, Mackenzie Tereault, Bill Tolley, Janet Tolley, Becky Tueller, John Tueller, Melinda Turnwall, Courtney Velez, Lindsey Walker, Dave Walton, Sarah Walton, Sadie Walton, Shane Walton, Stacy Walton, Claudia Warner, Dave Warner, Darren Wilcox, Tami Wilcox, Barbie-Jo Williams, Jonathan Williams, Jeff Winter, Lisa Winter, Ken Wolsey, Tricia Wolsey, Leila Yekrangian, Gus Zanini, Jennifer Zanini.

Kira really wanted to get rid of mom while we set up and while we couldn’t surprise her about the party she could at least be surprised by the taco truck and the number of people who would be here. We finally decided to have Desiree take her and bring her back at around 6:15. It was perfect because we already had a good crowd by then.

The evening was mosty just people standing around visiting. It was good because there were people from all over the stake and it was a sort of reunion. The people were sorted into four groups.

· Our church friends,
· Our temple friends,
· Our kids friends and their families,
· Lisa’s work friends.

What was fun is that many of the people from the different groups actually knew each other.

This slide show was running during the party.

This is a short video summary of the evening.

Here are some random pictures from the evening.


































































1 comment:

Justin Palmer said...

It was a great party.