Thursday, September 05, 2024

Dad, Tell Me About the Time (37)

Thursday, August 30, 2024

How long was it from the time you met until you were married?


The first time I spoke to Lisa was in late August 1979 and we were married July 11, 1981. That makes it one month shy of two years.

How long were you engaged?

I proposed Dec 24, 1980 and we were married July 11, 1981. So, six months and seventeen days.

How did you propose to your spouse or how did your spouse propose to you?

My proposal was nothing too romantic. It was December so everything was frozen and we didn’t want to go for a walk in sub zero weather so I pulled into a parking spot that had a beautiful view of Henderson lake and asked her if she would marry me. She said yes. It isn’t like this was a surprise or anything. We had talked about marriage for some time. She even did help me pick out the ring. This is a picture of Henderson Lake. 
I guess when Mom and I were there it probably looked more like this.

Describe your wedding day.

My wedding day is a bit of blur. The wedding was in the morning and Lisa was staying at our house and we had a ton of friends who came down from Edmonton with us. There wasn’t much for the groom to do but Lisa was surrounded by a swarm of women making her even prettier than she normally is.

After the wedding we held a lunch at our house. The lunch was mostly for the older relatives who were reluctant to travel to Coalhurst where the reception would be that evening. The weather was perfect and we were all enjoying outselves and visiting each other. I remember that Uncle Lloyed came up to Lisa and told her that they were the only smart ones there because they were the only ones wearing hats. Uncle Lloyd always wore a big cowboy hat where ever he went.
We held our reception in the Coalhurst School because Lisa’s family needed their coffee and that wouldn’t have been allowed in a church building but we chose not to serve alcohol. That was mostly because we had been to many weddings on Lisa’s side and they all end up drunk and very crude. We decided to keep them sober. The school didn’t allow alcohol anyway so it worked out well. Plus, alcohol is very expensive. It was a good idea but in the end Lisa’s uncle Murry ended up serving alcohol out of their trucks in the school parking lot. It didn’t become a problem.

We served a full on roast beef dinner and it was a perfect evening. We also had a program with various family members singing songs or telling embarassing stories. At several times during the program, Gregs oldest son Michael, was dressed up as a robot and would walk across the stage holding various parts from my car such as my air filter cover, my distributor cap, a hub cap. You get the idea. I was getting nervous because I was the last one in my family to get married and at every single wedding except Gregs and Dixies we had hotwired their car. We didn’t hot wire Dixies car because Mark is the one who taught us how to hot wire a car and Greg got married before I met Mark.

After the reception I was certain that they had hot wired our car but I couldn’t find a wire anywhere. I finally just decided to take my chances and we started the car without getting electrocuted. I was quite surprised however when I pulled out of the parking lot and as I tapped my brake the horn went off. They had wired the horn to the brake lights.

A couple of weeks later we had a second reception in Edmonton for Lisa’s family and friends who couldn’t make it to Southern Alberta. It was held at the 5th ward chapel and was very similar to the reception in Coalhurst.

I think we had about 300 people at each reception. We were very loved.

No comments: