Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Years Worth of Rain

In an average year San Diego gets about nine inches of rain. This week we have a storm coming through the area and there are four "squalls" that are supposed to move through bringing lots of rain. Altogether we are supposed to get as much as eight inches of rain. Pretty amazing eh? We're supposed to get an entire years worth of rain in one week. I was bound and determined to ride my bike Monday but it was already raining very lightly and I didn't want to get to work wet. At some points Monday afternoon it was coming down so hard that you could hardly see across the street. By Monday evening it was all over. Tuesday afternoon we received the second wave. It was all over by the time I drove home from work but it looked like it was raining pretty hard off and on. The third wave hit today. I think I caught the tail end of the squall on my ride home. Very few times have I had to have my wipers on fast and I don't think I've ever had them on fast here in California. I had them on fast today. The rain was coming down so hard the road was a river and in places it was so deep that it was running over the curb. I must admit that it was a lot of fun driving fast so I could throw up a huge wall of water. That is until the car beside me was dumping his wall of water right onto my windshield. That was pretty scary until I slowed down enough to let him by. Perhaps the most exciting moment of my ride was when I came to a manhole that was shooting water at least thirty feet into the air. It was a regular geyser. That man hole cover stayed on but jets of water was shooting out of the little holes in the cover and a spray of water was shooting out the circumference of it. I made sure I did not drive over it but it was really tempting. They are now saying that the fourth and final wave is supposed to hit town tomorrow afternoon. I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Sunny skies are predicted for the weekend. Gotta love living in paradise.

--------------------trivia--------------------
Coral was found 1,200 feet up a mountain on one of the Hawaiian Islands. It is believed that it was washed up there by a huge tidal wave caused by the collapse of part of another nearby island.
----------------------------------------------

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Wow. Crazy weather all over the world. I somehow can't imagine rain right now though...however it would make pretty heavy ice cubes coming down.....; D

Great pics!

Peter and Mandy said...

At work our back door out to where the children hang up their jackets was all flooded. There were jackets floating on the playground. Two of our drains were covered with leaves and debris causing the flood. While it was in major down pour one of the teachers put on rain boots and a jacket and went out to uncover the drains. She was out all of a couple minutes and came back in soaked.

I really like all the rain...just not during the school day.

Dad said...

I have a spare pair of gumboots I can send down.

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

What really freaked me out was hearing how there were tornadoes going on down there! I have been watching the news, and am not looking forward to your guys' storm moving its way up to Utah... yay :(