Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Utah - day 2

Everyone was falling asleep Thursday night so we headed back to the hotel and went to bed fairly early. Trevor decided that he wasn't up to two long boring meetings (convocation and commencement) and was threatening not to go to either one of them. We some coercement we finally convinced him that he had to at least walk and receive his diploma so we could take lots of pictures. I was secretly glad that he didn't do the other long and boring meeting. It meant that I got to sleep in. Lisa finally convinced me that it was time to get up so we showered and dressed and headed to Alycia and Trevors house. Lisa had bought Trevor a gift on Thursday and we gave that to him on Friday. We gave him a nice frame for his diploma. That is the same gift that we gave Kira for her bachelors degree, Justin for his bachelors degree, Brandon for his bachelors degree, Serene for her bachelors degree, Kira for her masters degree and Justin for his Dental degree. Do you see a theme here? I think I know what Ben, Alycia and Brandon are getting next year. For a late breakfast Trevor suggested we go to this fancy Belgium Waffle / Friete place. I was very excited because I love the Frietes and Waffles in Belgium. When I saw the name of the place I was a bit disappointed because it was Bruges Waffles. Bruges is the French spelling for a city in Belgium and I was hoping the owner would be Flemish. The Flemish spelling would be Brugge. Everyone convinced me to go and talk to the guy anyway and I'm really glad I did. We spoke Dutch for quite a while and it was good to exercise my Dutch a bit. The Frietes and Waffles were delicious and pretty authentic. We'll be going back to that place. I was getting really excited when I noticed that they had Flemish Stew. That would be Stof Vlees in Dutch. It is a thick stew like sauce that you put on top of your Friets. Imagine my dismay when I learned that they only serve it in the winter. Now that I think about it, this place only had outside seating so where would you sit in the winter? I guess it must only be take out.

After breakfast we headed back to the Alyica and Trevors for a little while and then we dropped the cars off at the hotel and walked to the Huntsman center where the graduation was. It was a beautiful day and a great time to walk. That is good because when we picked Alex and Marie up the day before there were snow flakes falling. It was bitterly cold.

The graduation, as always was long and boring and we anxiously anticipated the 10 seconds when we would be able to cheer for Trevor as his name was called. It came and went so fast that we almost missed it. the stupid thing was that they had the graduates walk up and get their diplomas in a direction that put their backs to the audience. It was so stupid. I think I'm going to write someone a letter and tell them that if we're going to sit and wait for an hour and a half then we at least want to see their faces when they do it.

When I realized that we were only going to see Trevors backside I ran completely around the Huntsman center so I was on the opposite side where I could take pictures of his face. It was funny after Trevor got his diploma he headed back to the seats but then when he should have turned into the isle he went straight on up the stairs. Everyone thought he had enough of the place and he was bolting. I was heading back to sit with Lisa so I followed him out of the hall to make sure he didn't take off. Luckily he was only getting a drink.

Following the mandatory pictures and all we decided to go to Tucans for dinner. You've got to like Tucans, it is all you can eat meat. They cook all different kinds of things on skewers and bring them around to your table. They have several cuts of beef, pork, chicken, shrimp, turkey, pineapples (perhaps my favorite), vegetables, and a lot more that I'm forgetting. I was still full from breakfast but did my best to get my moneys worth.

After dinner Alex and Marie headed off to have their final date (the new Iron Man movie) and then have their final good bye.

Meanwhile we went back to Alycia and Trevors and made small talk for a while until once again everyone was falling asleep at which point it was back to the hotel room and a nice warm bed.































----------trivia----------
1 out of every 5 American meals are eaten in a car.
-------------------------

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Well all that running in the Huntsman building was worth it! You got some good photos.

And my goodness.....just talking about all that yummy food as got me really hungry. I've heard about the Tucan. I should really go there sometime.

Kira said...

what a great day!!! I almost feel like I was there :-) Great pictures!!

Lisa said...

I enjoyed the graduation and I'm never bored at any of them :)

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

happy day :)