Monday, June 21, 2010

Fathers Day with no kids

This summer Lisa and I will celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary. For 28 of those years I've been a father and this weekend was the first Fathers day when I've actually been a father that I haven't had anyone at home on Fathers Day. In fact this whole weekend has been weird. I guess we're getting a taste of what it's going to be like when we're empty nester's next year. I think I'm going to like it. Things are just a lot more relaxed. For Fathers day we did practically nothing and that is exactly what I needed. All of my kids called me and that was nice. Ben even Skyped me from Mexico City. He seems quite lonely but I'm glad to see that he is taking advantage of this wonderful opportunity to check out all the sights. He's been able to see some really cool things.

When we were at BYU Lisa spotted the perfect Fathers Day gift for me. It seems appropriate since Kira and Brandon graduated from BYU and Alycia and Alex are attending the U of U. I can wear this hat when ever BYU and U of U play each other. It is actually pretty cool. They had a window sticker that matched it that says, "A House Divided". That would be us.

This weekend is kind of like the eye of the storm. Last week we drove to Utah and dropped Alex off in the MTC and this Friday we head north of the I-15 once again but this time we're going all the way through to Canada. These few days at home alone are very relaxed and calm. I'm excited, it's been a long time since we've been to Canada. Kira is going to have their little baby sealed to them in the Temple and it's a big deal. The adoption is final and now they can claim him for their own. It's going to be a rushed trip but I plan on enjoying every minute of it. We're going to pick up Serene and her girls in Utah (Cedar Hills) and then in Salt Lake we'll get Sarah and Alycia and then we're off.

Things are really getting exciting at work. My project is starting to look like it will be a success and I am almost sad to leave for a week. Almost sad but not quite. I just hope it is nice weather while we're in Canada. That is always a roll of the dice.

====================trivia====================
Non-virgins who get married are sixty percent more likely to divorce than couples who are virgins when they get married.
============================================

3 comments:

Lynn said...

It will be nice to see you and Lisa again!

Congrats on the official adoption of your newest grandbaby.

HOpefully this flooding situation up here will be a LOT better!!! The pictures I am seeing on everybody's blogs says it all. It's SO sad!!

Tom said...

Freddie, glad to hear you are coming to Canada, I haven't seen you since Kira wedding. Stop in and say hi, and if you have time I can take you on a tour of one of our hydro plants. Hopefully the water will be down and they will be running again.

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

It is so crazy to think you were alone on Father's day... I was thinking about that yesterday! Anyways the hat is perfect, &just think I will get to see you soon &hang out! I am so stoked for CANADA :) LOVE YOU!