Monday, August 15, 2011

Weddings

This has been another action packed week. I've wanted to write something several times but things are so busy I never get a chance to sit down and do it.


After having my wife home for all of a week this last Wednesday I gave her a kiss good bye and off she went again and left me for St George. Alycia's friend Jamie Havertz was getting married and Alycia was her brides maid. It worked out well because Sarah just caught a ride with one of Jamie's relatives and met up with Mom in St George. If you look at the top picture the middle boy is Jamie's little brother Brett. I had Brett in scouts and he is a good kid. I wish I could have been there. 


The original plan was for Mom and Sarah to come home on Friday but Mom ended up giving some of Alycia and Jamie's friends rides and one of them needed to be back for work on Friday so they left for San Diego after the reception on Thursday night and drove through the night. I was pretty groggy when they got home but I think it was somewhere around 2:30 AM. It was great to see Mom again but I was really thrilled to see Sarah. I've missed her. 


Friday was my birthday and when I opened my bedroom door Friday morning I was rather startled to see a barrier of streamers in my face. I guess Sarah had stayed up late to decorate the house for my birthday. It was very sweet of her. At first the sign said that I was 53 years old but when I went through the streamers and looked back I was only 35. I think I like the 35 better. Lisa made a picture that contains a bunch of cool post cards that she got from Waterton for me. I love Waterton and I have so many wonderful memories from growing up there so when I look at the pictures I get all these wonderful memories coming back to me. Unfortunately we only had five post cards and the frame has six slots so I'm going to get a picture and use special effects to make it match the cards. I'm torn between a picture of Vimy mountain or a picture of our motel.


Friday after work we went for dinner at this hamburger joint that just opened in our neighborhood. It is called Smash Burger and they have some pretty good hamburgers. We then went home and had a Marie Calendars lemon cream pie. I really love their lemon cream pie. I then picked a movie to watch. It was a fun birthday and it was especially thoughtful of Lisa who only got home at 2:30 that morning. 


Saturday was just a work around the house day and one of the items on my to-do list was to figure out why the downstairs bathroom keeps backing up. I figured I knew what the problem was since almost exactly one year ago today I'd pulled a mass of roots out the sewer line. To no ones surprise, this was the same problem. All I can figure is that some very aggressive tree has sent roots under my slab looking for water and somehow has found where my toilet is. 
The root is coming up from under that slab, working it's way through the wax seal and then going down into the sewer line. I have no idea how I'm going to kill it. I guess I'll go to Home Depot and get some of those root killers and see if I can wash some of them down into the space where the root is coming up. It's a stretch but I've  got to do something. I can't see any evidence that water is leaking through the seal but I'll make sure I have a lot of extra wax just to make sure. If there isn't any water then I can't imagine how the roots can know where to go. We'll see what happens next year. I'm getting tired of lifting up my toilet every year. 


Last night we went to another wedding reception for Veronica Zanini, another friend of Alycia's. The reception was in Poway Park and  was outdoors. I thought it was a very beautiful setting. Next door to the park is a hamburger place and they had the hamburger place cater the wedding. I must admit it is the first time I've had hamburgers at a wedding but I really liked it. 


Today I gave a talk in church. The topic I was given was Personal Revelation. I picked a few examples from my life where I felt personal revelation had helped me to be a better father. I felt like I did a good job and I received enough complements that convinced me that I did OK. I always feel more comfortable when I can talk about my own kids. I like to talk about my kids. 


Tonight they had a going away party for the Jensens who are moving out of our ward. I think I heard them say that over the last few months we have had over thirty active members of our ward move away. That makes a fairly big dent in the ward. 


Ben also came down tonight for a going away party for his friend Derek Libby. Derek is going to Texas to attend a Chiropractic college. It was good to see Ben again.






-------------------trivia---------------
Human life expectancy increased very slowly until it hit 30 years old. At that point much of the population was able to become grandparents at which point life expectancy surged. When grandparents were able to help pass on their knowledge to the younger generation (culture, art, health and child care) life expectancy increased dramatically.
-----------------------------------------

3 comments:

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

Wish I could have been there to celebrate your birthday! LOVE YOU :)

Kira said...

aren't those pictures awesome????

I say print a picture of your hotel, Justin would probably say the picture of Vimy :-)

Lisa said...

It was a fun birthday :)