Tuesday, January 09, 2024

Dad, Tell Me About the Time…(1)

Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Last August on my birthday, Kira’s family gave me a booklet called, “Dad, Tell Me About The Time…”. It asks little questions that should take me less than five minutes to answer. I will try and write answers to these questions in the booklet, but for now I’m going to answer a few of these questions in my journal and post them in the blog so all of my kids can see my answers. The sentences in bold are the prompts followed by my response.

Once I was a child

Full name: Frederick Arlen Leavitt
Birthdate: August 12, 1958 ~3:00AM
Birthplace: Cardston, Alberta, Canada

Were you born in a hospital, at home, or elsewhere?

This question has an interesting answer. I was born in the Indian Hospital. They called in the Indian Hospital because at the time I was born, it was the main hospital and it was located Northwest of the corner where Highway 5 meets with Main St. Also, it is where highway 5 joins Highway 2.
When they built the new hosptial, they donated the old hospital to the Blood Indian Reserve so as I was growing up it was referred to as the Indian Hospital. I think the word “Indian” has become a banned word in Canada so I have no idea what they call it now. It has been 65 years, so the place probably doesn’t even exist now.

How much did you weigh when you were born?

I don’t rember exactly but I seem to remember mom telling me I was 8lb 10oz.

Do you have a unique or special birth story?

It was a special day for me and my mother but nothing unique or special about my birth beyond that. I was the fifth of six kids. Greg was the oldest and then there were three girls so I’m pretty sure he was glad to have a little brother after having three sisters.

Were you named after anyone?

I was named after Christian Frederick Bernard Lybbert who was the first member of the Lybbert line to join the church. He often went by CFB Lybbert or maybe that is just what we call him now. He was born on the 6th of November 1834, in Flade, Frederikshavn, Horns, Hjørring, Denmark.
My middle name is Arlen after my father.

How Did Your Parents Come Up With Your Name?

I don’t remember any stories about how they came up with my name.

Did They Agree On A Name Right Away?

I have never heard any stories about any difficulty deciding what they should call me.

Did You Have A Nickname Growing Up?

I do know that my mom called me Freddie when I was little but I don’t ever remember being called Freddie. My entire life I have been called Fred. Although, if my mom was mad at me she would call me “Frederick Arlen Leavitt” in a very loud voice.

How Did You Get That Nickname?

Frederick is a mouthfull. Fred is a whole lot easier to say.

Where Did You Grow Up?

We lived on a farm five miles west of cardston that was right on Highway 5. When I was almost eight we moved into town.

--------------------trivia---------------------
There is actually a surgery where an Ophthalmologist will put one of your teeth in your eye and it will help you see! It’s called Osteo-Odonto-Keratoprosthesis (OOKP) also known as “Tooth in Eye” Surgery. Sounds strange, right? It really works for patients with corneal issues or disease.
-----------------------------------------------

No comments: