Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Temple Robes

Today I helped dress Jose in his temple robes. For members of our faith it is considered an honor to be able to be buried in the ceremonial robes that we wear in the temple and it was a great honor to me when Jose's family asked if I would help dress his body in the temple robes. I have watched Jose's large and strong body wither away over the last few years (and especially the last few months) until his passing on Wednesday morning at which point he was little more than skin and bones. This morning, however, as we dressed him in his white clothing and put upon him his robes it seemed as if his body took on his former majesty and he was now ready to go and meet his God.
I consider this experience one of the greatest I have been able to have in this life. Because of the distance I lived from home I wasn't able to help dress my own father but I do hope that when the time comes, my own boys will be able to perform this service for me.

No comments: