Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Arte y Pico & Opposits attract

Wow, I just received an award. It is the "Arte y Pico" award. I'm not exactly sure what that means but its Spanish for something and you can read more about it by following the link below. Someone who speaks Spanish will have to tell me what the blog says. Lynn Crapo awarded this to me and I consider that a real honor. As far as I'm concerned she is the Master Blogger and any blogging award from her is very meaningful to me. By accepting this award I am agreeing to follow the five rules below.

1) Choose 5 blogs that you consider deserving of this award based on creativity, design, interesting material, and overall contribution to the blogger community, regardless of the language.

2) Post the name of the author and a link to his or her blog so everyone can view it.

3) Each award-winner has to show the award and put the name and link to the blog that has given her or him the award.

4) The award-winner and the presenter should post the link of the "Arte y pico.blogspot.com" , so everyone will know the origin of this award.

5) Please post these rules.

So I will tell everyone that Lynn sent me the award but I can't post a link to her blog since it is a private one. If anyone wants to follow her blog just let me know and I'm sure she will love to have you join. If I'm supposed to pick five people to pass this award onto I conveniently have five links to my children's blogs (Peter is like a kid). Some of them aren't terribly faithful with their blogs (hint, hint) but since I don't really follow any other blogs they get to receive this award anyway. Thank you Lynn for thinking of me. So here are my award recipients:

1) Kira gets to go first. She is very faithful and always shares fascinating stuff. She is also very good with the pictures. She is a wonderful little mother and I love to see her raise her son and support her husband.

2) Brandon's blog is a joy to me because it gives me a window into his mind. I know that may not be as fascinating to some as it is to me but I love it. He too makes me proud by balancing his duties as a husband, a father and a provider (right now interpreted as "student") for his family. He has bonded tightly to his daughter and I love to see that. Too many fathers are content to let the mothers raise their children but I can tell that Brandon will be a major influence in raising his children.

3) Sharley must come next because she is the one who actually inspired me to start my own blog. I had wanted to do it before but when she started her blog I jumped on the bandwagon. I'm glad though because Ben is not our best communicator and hopefully with Sharley's blog I might get to see more of what is going on in Ben's life. I shouldn't be too hard on Ben though, he's called me quite a few times since they moved to Arizona. I hope that keeps up.

4) If you want to see into an interesting mind you should go read Peters blog. Peter is my brothers son and you can tell he was a psychology major. He see's something and he will read more into it than anyone I know. I love his views on just about everything and I find them quite insightful.

5) And then there is Alycia. She started her blog with a single entry that stayed there for several months and then in a flurry of activity we got to enjoy her trip to Europe. As much as I love looking down her swimming suit top I keep waiting for a new entry. I've checked her blog so often looking for an update that just today I realized that the sun bather in the back ground is topless. That's those European beaches for you. She is now in school so her number one priority should be her classes and I don't expect real frequent updates. She still gets this award though because it was fun traveling through Europe with her.
-----------------------------
I've always wondered if a boy and a girl are more compatible if they are very similar to each other or if they are opposites. Since Lisa and I are opposites I like to think that we complete each other. I can compensate for her weaknesses and she can compensate for my weaknesses. I am a bit of a loner and Lisa is very much a people person. I am good at the sciences, Lisa is good at the social sciences. I have zero people skills but Lisa is very good with people. I love vanilla, Lisa loves chocolate. I love the dark meat on chicken, she loves the white meat. It goes on and on but you get the idea. I should qualify this however, by making it clear that we have, for the most part, always had very similar goals for our selves and for our family. Anyone who knows me knows that I have never been much into sports. I was always tall and athletic but I just don't have the personality to be good at sports. I was never good at any sport. Lisa on the other hand played on a boys hockey team until they kicked her off, she was on the high school volleyball team and the ski team. I'm sure she was on several other teams too. Some time after we moved to Rosemary we learned that there was a women's basketball team in the community so it was only natural that Lisa joined up. I don't remember who was on the team but I believe Harold Unruh was the coach. I don't really remember if they were any good or not but I seem to remember that they won more games than they lost. I also don't remember how long they played but I think it was several years. They always used to practice at the school but then the gym floor was resurfaced and that put the team in a real pickle. The team was trying to weigh all of their options when Lisa suggested that they practice at the church. Lisa was the only Mormon on the team and the rest of the team was quite skeptical that the Bishop would ever let them in the church. Lisa talked to Gary Norton, who was the Bishop at the time and he said sure but he was skeptical if some members of the team would ever step foot in the church. Of course it all worked out and the team practiced at the church until the school was ready. I believe they even practiced at the church after that when there were conflicts with the school gym.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

You totally deserve this award Fred! Glad you passed on the fun. Thanks. And by ALL means....if any of your kids and family want a peak at my blog they certainly can e-mail me.

That story about the church gym is a great example of what you two are like. So community orientated and wonderful friends to all. Both in and out of the church membership. That is SO cool!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the Award. It looks quite nice. Blogging is a good way to connect with family , friends, and people with similar interests. A couple of years ago, I can't remember if it was Monson, but they suggested that websites were also a good way share our beliefs. I think your blog accomplishes that goal.
Basketball Girls Rule!
Hi from Karin and Rick in New York

Judy said...

Way to go Fred! I gave Lynn her award! So it is fun to meet you! I look forward to learning about your family!

Kira said...

I am so excited to accept my award!!! :-) I think you have great social skills! Can you send a note to Lynn to send me another email? I lost her blog name

Lisa said...

Some of my best friends in Rosemary were on that team and we still keep in touch. I had major withdrawl when we first moved. It was hard to not be playing with them.