Sunday, September 07, 2008

Rosemary School

The school in Rosemary was an amazing thing. They went all the way from Kindergarten to Grade 12. The amazing thing is that in those thirteen classes there were only about eighty kids. In fact, when we moved I believe Kira's class the largest class in the school with around 12 kids or so. The school wasn't able to offer a lot of different electives but the classes they did have were top notch, winning all kinds of awards. The schools were divided into two different buildings. The elementary school and the high school. If I remember right, the high school included grades 7 to 12. I'm scared to mention any of the school teachers because I don't remember them all but I will name a few, Noel Crapo was the principal, Leland Crapo, David Blumell, Richard Hall and Sue Chomistek were some of the teachers. When we moved to San Diego we went to register the kids for school and the school had at least a thousand kids. Kira's eyes were wide and she was very nervous. The last year we were in Rosemary Kira just finished fourth grade, Brandon finished second grade and Ben just finished kindergarten.

Having small classes had some big advantages when it came to teacher/pupil ratios. The kids got a lot of one on one attention. It was also a lot easier to make the basketball team. It did have its down side though. I remember when Loni Norton was going to her graduation dinner. I don't know if she just liked our kids (she was their baby sitter) or if there were few choices but she asked Brandon to go with her. I believe at the time Brandon was about three years old. We dressed him up in a fancy suit and they had a great time. From what I hear all of the other girls thought Loni had a great date as well.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh that is a CUTE story about Loni. I had not heard that one either! Where is a picture of her date? : D

That school is no longer there. They tore it down and we were there for the new park grand opening that they put there instead, just a couple of years ago. They even have one of those park benches with the name ROSEMARY on it. That same bench was used as a model in the catalogue of the company that produces park benches for schools all over Canada. I am on the School Council at my kids' school here and when we went to make a choice from the catalogue for our school's bench, there was the Rosemary Park as an example! I couldn't believe it!

Anyway.....I was sad to see that old school torn down. (Glad to see you have a GREAT picture of it.) I have SO many memories of attending there. So does Dean. So does MY MOM! It had been around for a really long time.

And as for Mr. Crapo being the Principal......who would of ever thought that I would be calling him DAD someday! : D

Fred ... said...

If you look closely at my Rosemary pictures you'll see that many are taken by Darin Crapo. I pulled them all from Rosemary's website at www.myrosemary.org.

Kira said...

Such good memories I have there. I remember the day the new tire swing set was put up ... happy days!!!!