Saturday, September 13, 2008

Football Disappointments

So, do you notice anything new about my blog? Yup, that new header is my family. I love the picture. I'm not entirely sure but I think left to right they are, Alycia, Alex, Lisa, me, Brandon (with Sydney), Serene, Sarah, Sharley, Ben, Kira and Justin (carrying Evan). Don't you love the sunset? This was taken during Christmas of 2007.

What a world of emotional ups and downs. Do you remember last week when Alex had his great game? What I didn't mention was that before the game he was warming up and a ball took a bad bounce and he jammed his thumb. It hurt but they bandaged it up and he played the great game that I told you about. He also practiced Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday he went to see the orthopedic surgeon for a check up on his shoulder. The doctor was pleased with how everything went and then he asked about Alex's thumb. They explained what happened and the doctor checked everything out and was about to send him on his way and then he pressed in a spot that made Alex winced a little bit. That is when he decided to X-ray. You guessed it, it is broken and it is a pretty bad break too. He has a spiral fracture on his left thumb. Poor Alex is devastated. In his first game of his sophomore year Alex broke his knuckle and missed more than half the season, during his first practice this summer with his pads he tore his shoulder expected to miss half of this season, and now he gets his hopes up last week and during his first game of the season he broke his thumb. The poor boy is devastated. The official estimate is that he is out for four weeks but we are all betting it will be much less than that. We watched him on the sidelines with his team last night and you could see the frustration that he couldn't go out on the field. He is a funny boy, he dressed out completely with his helmet and all and stood on the side as if he was going in. The doctor could see how upset Alex was and promised him that next week they will x-ray it again. I'm thinking Alex will get on his knees and beg for a soft cast and permission to play. They really do need him. They won the game last night in spite of the poor defense.

This morning Sarah ran cross-country. She has been given permission to run again but with inconsistent practices and all she is not performing her best. She still did respectably though. Do you remember some time back when I told you how I repaired my radiator? Here is a picture of my nice epoxy job. Once you get the right epoxy it holds very nicely. Do you notice below the epoxy a crack about eight inches long? I think that plastic has seen it's last day. Who ever heard of a plastic radiator anyway. Time for a new radiator. I thought I would show my new radiator to you before I installed it. I was prepared for a long arduous job but it was replaced within an hour. It's not what I planned for the day but I have my car back.

4 comments:

Kira said...

oh how sad!!!!!! I am going to have to call alex. Ok, so how do I get copies of the family pictures? Will the photographer still have them available in February? I love the picture of sarah running, it is very cool, and I am glad you put up a picture of yourself. It is nice to see you. :-)

p.s. we got a new battery and our truck hasn't died yet, so that is good news!

Lynn said...

WOW Fred, your kids have not had some very nice breaks. Sorry for the pun. That must be SO rough on athletic kids. Yours seem to have a real drive for it. However, I see that their determination is somewhat paying off. You've taught them well. They certainly are not quitters.

Neither are you! : D Nice work with the rad.

Fred ... said...

Tell Alex I feel for him. I have had my new cast on since Wednesday and I have no signatures or pictures, he must be loved more than me!!!!! but... hopefully...... it will be off by Tuesday!!!!!!!!!

Jackie

Lisa said...

It's been a tough week for Alex.