Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Sarah & Christmas

I thought I would give everyone an update on Sarah and the mysterious belly ache. I believe I mentioned earlier that Sarah has been having stomach aches since June. They come and go and they range from a nuisance to excruciating pain. Unfortunately, her worst day by far was while we were in Utah dropping Alycia off. We promptly came home and Lisa went about getting more tests done. They've tested for infections, parasites, gastritis and a slew of other things that I'm not sure about. So far everything has come back negative. Poor Sarah is beginning to wonder if this isn't all in her head but then when she gets a real bad case of it she is convinced that it is real. The saddest part of the whole thing is her X Country. She has been working very hard this summer (she's run over 330 miles) and one of her goals was to go to the Stanford tournament. Only the best runners get to go there. Unfortunately the coaches chose the competitors right after Sarah's bad weekend. Even though Sarah qualified in every way they picked two runners who aren't as fast as Sarah because they didn't want her to have one of her attacks while on the trip. To make it even worse, the head coach told Sarah that he didn't want her running anymore until we've figured out what is going on. Instead he wants her swimming and biking during their work outs. Sarah came home devastated and completely broke down in her mothers arms. Lisa was so ticked that she called the doctor to get written permission that if Sarah is feeling up to it she could run with the team but alas, the doctor agreed with the coach. So as it is today we know a lot of things that it isn't but we don't know just what it is. As I write this Sarah is having an ultra sound done on her pelvis area and they're looking for cysts. Please pray for Sarah and the doctors that treat her that we can get this resolved in a satisfactory and timely manner.
------------------------------------
One of my favorite times of the year is Christmas time. I really wish it was not so commercialized so that we didn't have to stress presents and finances so much but I still love Christmas time. I love the music, I love the decorations (it is my goal to some day decorate my house and set the lights to music like this guy did; check out the link) , I love the Christmas tree, I really love the food but best of all I just love the excuse to take time off of work and getting the family all together. For two weeks we don't have to worry about school, schedules and as much as Lisa will let us, we don't worry about cleaning up. There is a lot of cooking to do but we all try and pitch in a little bit.Global always had a company party with lots of food and visiting. I also think that it was around Christmas time when the fire department had their party. In our church we would have a ward party on a weekend in December with food and a program and we would have a special sacrament meeting the week before Christmas and the choir sings a lot of songs. Lisa and I have always been in the ward choir and Christmas was my favorite time to sing as well. I also couldn't help but wonder what the Mennonites did in their program. It was obvious that they were planning a big event also. That is why when JoAnne Dyck invited us to go to their program we jumped at the opportunity. JoAnne was the choir director and she was working on a special program as well. It was a bit different going to another church's Christmas program but I felt right at home. We had many friends there and when it comes to Christmas, at least, we believe pretty much the exact same things. We enjoyed a wonderful program, visited with good friends and we feasted on wonderful food.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its great that Sarah has you and Lisa to reassure her. It is interesting to me that pain is there to remind us when and where something isn't quite right,and yet it can fail to answer the why question. Sarah is in our prays.

Christmas thoughts already. We still have our Christmas lights on the house from last Christmas.
From Rick and Karin in New York I

Lynn said...

Oh Sarah is most definitely in our prayers. Has anyone checked for ulcers? Just a thought. I am sure they must have. My heartaches for her. How frustrating and mean the world must feel to her these days. You are great parents to be there emotionally and physically there for her through all of this.

Christmas is ALSO MY favorite time of year. I have about 20 storage boxes of decor that I put up each year. IT's not about the looks (I have a tree for upstairs and one for downstairs), but more about the Feeling that is all creates. I love the feeling of familyness and togetherness.

IT's interesting that you picked the same link that shows the guys lights he set up. That is our families favorite link. We actually bought the Transiberian Orchestra CD that that song comes on, several years ago when we first investigated the song the guy with the lights used. Their music is SO fun and funky and cool.

Well, we pray that all goes well with Sarah and that your family has a wonderful Christmas together.

Kira said...

I remember going to church with my friends sometimes ... it was always fun. I also remember going to their youth activities every week. Am I mormon or mennonite? I think I'm still Mormon. :-) Good times though!