Thursday, December 11, 2008

Lesters Memories of the Motel

I am always so glad when someone contributes to my lame attempt at an autobiography. I know there are so many things that I'm forgetting so when someone else helps out it adds so much to my story. Lester sent me a letter and obviously he remembers some very different things about the motel in Waterton. Fortunately he and Mickey were there just a year ago so he also forwarded me some pictures. Below are his emails and pictures. If I want to editorialize on Lester's words my comments will be in yellow italics
================================================
Hi Fred:
Thank you for taking the time to write "our" history in such detail. You are saving me a great deal of effort and I am glad to see Peter following along on your blog. I send the other kids to it whenever there is a good story, which is often.

It truly is my pleasure, I'm really enjoying this trip down memory lane. I'm also glad you're having your kids read it since after all, it is for our children that I'm writing this anyway.

Here are some photos you may want to use. Mickey and I took them last year when we went through.
Also, a Ford Econoline van.

This van is in very similar condition to the van that Lester and I knew and loved. The only difference is that our van didn't have any windows in the side.

As far as I remember, our first "solo" restaurant meal where we went totally on our own was an order of fries at New Franks Cafe. I don't think anything else in Waterton is as intact in its 1970 form as New Franks.

I remember that very clearly. We ate a lot of fries at "Franks" didn't we?

A few points, if you want to edit the post.
The gas fitter who was killed was Bud Sloan, and he was Butch Sloan's brother (who owned the Texaco Station next to the Alpine). If he would have stayed where he was working (right next to the wall), he would have been safe, but it looked like he was running away. I remember his chest was punctured by a board and the blood stain on the ground is still vivid in my mind.
The motel is called "The Aspen Village Inn" now (sign attached) and has integrated The Ponderosa and The Windflower (but you knew that).

The photo that I sent before shows the "L" shape nicely that you talk about in the wind description.

When we had the motel it had a flat roof. I see they have now put a peaked roof on it. Other than that it really hasn't change much has it?

Funny how we remember different things. The volunteer fireman siren had pull boxes all around the village, and sometimes they would be set off by kids pulling them. The same gust of wind that lifted the roof set off the pull box right next to the motel.
Also, the roof landed on Frank Goble's backyard garage (next to the gas station, and I can't believe I remember that name). He had a very valuable collector car in the garage...the original Shelby. The photo attached is a recent Shelby, but the one that was in Goble's garage was before Ford bought the name, and the rear window sloped all the way to the trunk.
When the roof hit the telephone/power poles in the back alley, it snapped the pole behind Goble's garage and the massive transformer broke its mountings and fell through the roof of the garage and landed smack dab in the middle of the huge sloping back window of this Shelby. I think those transformers weigh about 300 lbs, so I'm sure it damaged a whole lot more than just a broken window.

I remember that. The transformer went right through the back window. What a shame.

And the name of the gas station is on the tip of my tongue, but it is now a mini-mall.
Again, thanks for writing "our" history.
Love ya,
Lester

This is a picture of the church in Waterton. The picture is taken from in front of the motel.
===========================
This is the parking lot of the Ponderosa motel. The Ponderosa was next door to the Windflower and we bought it a few years after we completed the Windflower. It is a series of separate little bungalows and they also had flat roofs in my day. I learned to drive hauling dirty laundry from all these different rooms up to the laundry room. Only one tiny little ding in the car that I can remember and no one ever noticed (or at least no one ever said anything).

3 comments:

Kira said...

I do love hearing the different memories and piecing together the whole story!

Lynn said...

Me too! I ditto Kira. THanks for sharing. It's all to interesting!

thenaptimebaker said...

sydney says sweet memories.