Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Washington DC - day 3

Another day of meetings. We got bogged down a bit today but I can tell we're getting near the end. I expect these meetings will begin to become less and less frequent. In case you were wondering how I ended up in this very strange (but nice) hotel it is because it is directly across from the CTIA building. DC isn't all that big so walking a mile you could get to most places but I literally walk out of my hotel, across the street, down about a hundred feet and into the CTIA building. In addition to that, it is one of the less expensive hotels to boot so it is good both ways. That is why I keep coming back. Most of you have seen this all before but I thought I would share more of my hotel with you. It is the strangest thing but they have several identical statues of a naked woman in front of the hotel. She looks very cold out there. I guess last year one of them got stolen and it made the news. Very funny.

Tonight I had dinner with a guy from a new Taiwanese company that makes Lithium ion batteries. He started the company himself. I think I will take a closer look at his outfit to see if we want to buy from him. Taiwan might be a good compromise between Japan (good but expensive) and China (cheap but dangerous). I had spagetti for dinner. It was good but my mouth is really watering for more of the prime rib I had on the weekend.

I just went out front to take a picture of the "ladies" for you and guess what? There used to be ten of them but one is gone and nothing is left but her little stand. I guess one did get stolen. I wonder why they didn't replace her? While I was out there I also took a picture of the statue in front of the Kazakstan embassy which is right next door to the hotel. This cheap little camera doesn't do well in the dark so you can't see it very clearly. I'll try and get a picture of it tomorrow in the daylight but it is of this soldier type of dude carrying a bow and arrow standing on a flying cat. It looks very funny but I'm sure it has a cool story behind it. I wonder how I could find out more about the statue? I decided to check out the internet and all I could find was this,

"This monument, depicting a young warrior soaring on a winged snow leopard, symbolizes many centuries of the nation's history and a modern Kazakhstan striving for the future".

I also found a picture of it. Apparently some comedian named Borat made a movie about Kazakhstan and made a lot of fun about the statue and the country. From some of the comments I read he was really quite mean. Now I want to go see the movie.

4 comments:

KarinC said...

Thank You for sharing a part of Washington DC we usually don't get to see. Our family enjoys seeing things through your trips. Always interesting.
Cahoons in NY

Kira said...

Believe me, you don't want to see the movie. Watch clips on youtube, but don't see it. I never did, but from those that I know who did see it apperantly it is really raunchy and not very good. (aka: R for a reason). There are some clips that I have seen though that are down right HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some of our favorite quotes come from those clips. Glad y ou are having a good time. I really love DC

Lynn said...

I'm glad you answered a few questions that have been on our minds. : D One being....Why THAT hotel? LOL!

Very interesting. Thanks!

thenaptimebaker said...

sydney says interesting