Saturday, January 03, 2009

Cameron - Carthew - Alderson Lake Trail

Living in Waterton of course means that there are many opportunities for hiking. Lester and I hiked everywhere. I think my favorite hike was the twelve mile hike from Cameron Lake (the picture) to the the townsite. Hiking up out of Cameron Lake is a pretty steep climb but once you hit the summit it is pretty much downhill the whole way. It is a stunningly beautiful hike. Just before you reach the summit you cross the face of the steep slope of talus. From the trail at this point you look down into the most beautiful little mountain meadow you will ever see. I used to imagine building a little cabin down in that meadow next to the little stream that runs through it. Of course, in my minds eye that cabin was always in the summer. I'm not sure I'd want to be in that little cabin during the winter.

The summit is above the tree line so you can see in all directions for hundreds of miles. This is a view from the summit looking back towards Cameron Lake.


Looking south from the summit you see this view. The Canada - US border runs between the little peak in the foreground and the mountains in the back ground. As soon as you cross over the summit you drop down to a little lake (perhaps more accurately described as a pond) called Carthew Lake. Carthew Lake is actually a series of little lakes with Marmots climbing all through the rocks. Another absolutely beautiful sight. From this little pond you drop down to another slightly larger Lake called Alderson Lake. The Lakes are right at the tree line so as you hike on down the mountain you get to see how the vegetation changes from decidous trees to pine trees and many different kinds of plants. This is a view of Alderson Lake with bear grass blooming in the foreground.

Of course my favorite is thimble berries. If you hike this trail at the right time you can literally stuff your belly with thimble berries before you get to the bottom. They are so good too and almost melt in your mouth.

Finally, the trail comes out right at Cameron Falls. I love Cameron Falls. We used to climb all over the face of it. It is pretty awe inspiring when you get right up close to the falls. There is so much energy in that water as it falls over the rocks. I remember one year there was a boy who slipped and went over the falls. There are fences all over to keep you away from the edge but fences never stopped us and apparently it never stopped this boy either. I wasn't there when it happened but the story was that there were dozens of people who witnessed the whole thing but no one went in to get the boy. They all just stood and watched. The boy was laying face down in the water unconscious and he died from drowning. The doctors said that there was a good chance he could have been saved if someone had only pulled him out.

3 comments:

KarinC said...

Waterton is so beautiful. Thank you for the hiking guide. I think you are inspiring our family to hike and explore more.
The Cahoons in NY

Lynn said...

Well, I am truly inspired myself! What a beautiful set of photos.

It's makes me sad to think about all the world that I am missing.....even in my" own back yard". I hope to see all those places someday.

Kira said...

why wouldn't someone pull him out??? That is sooo sad!