Friday, January 23, 2009

Crandell Mountain

Every time I would climb Bears Hump I would look up to the peak of Crandell Mountain and long to keep on hiking up to it. This picture was taken by Kira. It shows Crandell Mountain from Bears Hump. Doesn't it look like you could just walk on up the ridge to the peak? We never did have time but finally the desire was strong enough that we actually planned the hike. My memory is a bit foggy in this area but I seem to remember that we learned that simply climbing up from Bears hump was not the best way to go. I also remember that we talked my brother-in-law, Ross Foote into coming with us. We drove around by the buffalo paddock and climbed up the mountain from there. The second picture is of the buffalo paddock. I'm not sure but I think this picture is taken from the foot of Crandell Mountain. We climbed up to the crest of the mountain and started heading for the peak but if I remember clearly, we ran out of time before we got to the peak and we had to come back down short of our goal. It was a beautiful view from where we were and still A wonderful hike any way.

I was enjoying my physics class in high school at this point in my life and as we came upon a very high and very sheer cliff I remembered x = gt2/2. One of us threw a massive boulder over the cliff while I timed the fall. Quickly making the calculation in my head I remember the cliff being about 400 feet high. It was a long way down. I was very excited and proud of myself because that was the first time I remember using physics to solve a practical problem.

Coming down was quite exciting. There was a huge glacier on the side of the mountain and we simply sat in the snow and slid. The snow would build up under our rear ends and we ended up sliding on a big mound of snow. The glacier seemed like it went down half the mountain and even though it was long I'm sure it wasn't that long. Something I hadn't really thought of before I started but I clearly thought about after we were underway was "how do I stop?" This glacier (as glaciers often do) ended up on the edge of a cliff and I knew that I didn't want to wait until too close to the end to stop. As we were heading down the slope I figured out that I had pretty good control over my speed with my feet so we just enjoyed the ride and stopped well clear of the end of the glacier. It was a very fun hike. The last picture shows Crandell Mountain with Bears Hump out in the front. It is a very big mountain.

--------------------trivia--------------------
If you squeezed the entire world to the size of a ping pong ball it would become a black hole. If you squeezed the sun until it was four miles in diameter it would become a black hole. You wouldn't have to squeeze our galaxy very much for it to become a black hole. Our universe already is a black hole. The mass of the universe is large enough that light cannot escape it. If you were outside our universe you wouldn't be able to see it because no light can leave it. I have always wondered what it would be like to be inside a black hole and now I know. I always assumed that if you fell into a black hole you would be torn to shreds and that is true for smaller black holes but if it were large enough then entire planets and galaxies can exist inside the black hole and we wouldn't know the difference.
------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

Lynn said...

WOW! Very interesting trivia and thoughts.

IS your brother in law any relation to Shane and Shannon Foote? They use to live in our ward. Shane was a GREAT YM's leader to my oldest son.

Thanks Fred for your comments about my dad. I SURE appreciate them and your prayers.

Kira said...

what if you hadn't been able to stop???? The black hole trivia kind of hurt my brain ... I get it, but I might not be able to sleep now, cause I will keep thinking about it.