Friday, March 08, 2024

Dad, Tell Me About the Time…(19)

Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Which job would you never want to have again? Why?

I never really hated any job I ever had because I learned amazing stuff at each of them, but some were more difficult than others. While I would do it again under the right circumstances, the least rewarding job I ever had was at Canadian Liquid Air where I worked during the summer I got married. The worst part of that job was that it was shift work and I worked from the afternoon until late at night. That was not fun. The second worst part was that it was very monotonous repeating the same thing all day long. We’d roll the oxygen cylinders onto the ramp, fill them with gas and then roll them off the ramp and repeat that continuously.

What was fascinating is that the plant was basically a fracking tower for air. I did everything I could to learn all about it. They cool air until the CO2 freezes and falls out like snow. They shovel it up with a snow shovel and sell it as dry ice.

The rest of the air eventually becomes a liquid, and they separate the nitrogen, oxygen, and argon in a fracking tower. I got to look into a giant ten-foot-tall tank of liquid oxygen, and it was an amazing sky-blue color.
The other tough part of that job is that the workers were all a bunch of perverts who would tell crude jokes all day long and talk about all the gross stuff they did the night before.

How did you choose your career?

My career kind of chose me. I was registered in Civil Engineering at BYU before my mission but when I entered the U of A after my mission the first-year engineers were all in general classes and you didn’t pick your specialty until after your first year. I took classes that aligned with Civil Engineering but one of the mandatory classes I took was a materials science class. I loved it, and at the same time I realized that Civil Engineering would be too boring for me. A civil engineer basically follows recipes that other people have created (except for Uncle Mark). If you want a bridge then use this design, you need a parking lot then here is how you do it. While I would have loved to be any kind of engineer, I loved the materials engineering class and was eventually accepted into the Metallurgical Engineering department. This was before Materials Engineers were a thing so even though my degree says Metallurgical Engineering, I studied all inorganic materials including semiconductors which is what I eventually did for my career in thermoelectric materials and systems.

--------------------trivia--------------------
Every human born, has between 10 to 100 mutuations that we didn't get from our parents. Most other species have less than one, some much less than one.
----------------------------------------------

No comments: