Sunday, July 06, 2008

Happy Birthday Lisa

I can't believe I haven't posted a blog for three days and I almost didn't post one today. You can tell they have been very busy days. I guess that isn't completely true since for most of the day on July 4th I was a lazy bum. Last year I bought a wheel for my bike that had an electric motor in it's hub. I've had it all year but I've never taken the time to put it on my bike. Now with the price of gas at $4.50 a gallon I made the time to switch tires. It all looks like it's going to work but I don't have any tie wraps to hold down the wires. I guess I'll have to finish tomorrow but I'm going to have an electric bicycle and ride it to work. With the price of gas what it is now I expect I'll save about $20 a week. I also have a tragic tale to tell. Our neighbors across the street moved in a couple of years ago. They are wonderful people and good neighbors. Unfortunately, the husband, Mike, was born in Lebanon and moved to Canada when he was a baby. Because he was born in Lebanon he can't get citizenship and this year the government canceled his visa and they have to leave the States. It is very sad, they have two or three stores and two little girls who were born in the States. The thing that makes it all very ridiculous is that they are very devout Jews (not your typical terrorist). So much so that they wouldn't use one of our pans that had been used to cook pork. Anyway, the woman is a very hard worker but she has been procrastinating packing so much so that on Wednesday she hadn't even started and the moving van comes tomorrow morning (Monday). Lisa decided she needed some encouragement so she helped her all day Thursday and single handedly packed up most of the house. The neighbor (Janet) didn't do anything Friday or Saturday so Lisa went over there this morning and instead of going to church she spent all day today helping her pack. She came home at five for her birthday dinner and now she is still over there and it's midnight. It is sad to see them go. As I said, Friday was the forth of July and even though I did help clean up the house, fixed sprinklers on the lawn, put another coat of epoxy on the radiator I did take it easy. I didn't get to sleep in though because Sarah ran a two mile race Friday morning at seven. It was a fun run so I didn't know if they were going to time it so I started my timer at the starting line and then ran to the finish line to wait for her to come in. I wasn't expecting her for a while but low and behold she was one of the first runners to show up. Her time was 13:44 and she was the sixth female runner. She was obviously pushing herself because that is one of her best times (it might be a personal best) and as she crossed the finish line she walked over to the side of the road and puked. I think that may be something she just has to get used to. Some runners are just pukers. For several years now, on Independence Day we have been going with the Knowlton family to watch fireworks on Coronado Island. It has always been a big event since we have six kids and they have five and most of our kids line up in age. This year was quite small since we were down to Sarah and they were down to Collette. We also had Peter come with us. We ate junk food, threw a frisbee around and watched some pretty spectacular fireworks. Saturday was Lisa's birthday. She turned 33 (give or take a dozen years). I asked her what she wanted to do and all she could come up with was to go to a restaurant that specializes in Belgium French Fries. Since that is one of the things I keep talking about from my mission she thought that would be cool. She then wanted desert from the place that catered Ben and Sharleys wedding. That sounded fun but I suggested a few other things but the only other thing she wanted to do was go buy a rug for our family room and then go to the movie "Get Smart". I'll just let you know that on my birthday the LAST thing I want to do is go shopping. Next Friday Lisa and I will have been married 27 years and after 27 years there is nothing that I can buy her for her birthday. I know she likes clothes but I learned very early that I can't figure out her taste in clothes so I'll never buy her clothes. I can figure out jewelry but she doesn't need or want any more cheap jewelry and if I'm buying the real stuff that is enough money that I want her to pick it out. I also do pretty good with perfume but I think there are other things that she would prefer. For this reason I told her that I'm not buying her a present but I'll take her shopping and she can buy whatever she wants (but not the rug, that can be a wedding anniversary present but not her birthday). Well, we didn't have time for the shopping so I guess that'll have to be next week. It was going to be just Lisa and I since Sarah went to the fair with a friend, Alycia had to work and Alex was going to be with friends as well. In the end Alex's plans fell through and he came with us. It was fun and the Belgian fries were good but not any better than the ones I make. Today was Lisa's birthday dinner with the family. I barbecued some very good Rib Eye steaks and we had baked potatoes, corn on the cob and a salad. We also had a birthday cake. Normally Lisa wants a black forest cake but this year we had a fruit cocktail cake which is the same cake Kira had for her wedding cake. It has a real fruit cocktail filling and is very good. A much better choice than black forest cake. While I was in China Sarah went to Youth Conference. The second picture is of her rock climbing at Youth Conference. She has now decided that this is her new favorite sport.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh how fun! You truly have been VERY busy. Especially Lisa. WOW! Sure wish I had a neighbor like that. Lisa you still are the best caring and giving neighbor, ever. I feel so sad for your friends who now have to move. It just makes me sick who the gov't "lets in" and yet who they "kick out". It's twisted and backwards. I am speaking of the Canadian Gov't here too. I have been "fighting" for and with a family here for three years. Doing whatever we can to convince the gov't to let them stay. They too, are like your neighbors. Good caring and honest members of the church. What is even worse, is that the gov't is going to deport the mother to her own county (Venezuela) and the dad to his (Mexico). Leaving them to decide where their two little sons (Canadian) get to go. With mom? Or with dad? Which of the two countries are better or safer? They are even allowed to leave together as a family. And because of unrest in her country, she may never be able to see her sons or husband for years or forever. Her family (parents and siblings left a long time ago because her dad and family were in danger.) Thankfully the US is not splitting your neighbor friends family apart. I just can't imagine what that would be like. Horrible.

Lynn said...

Oops. I meant to say the are NOT allowed to even leave together as a family. But I am sure you probably figured that out.

Peter and Mandy said...

Tell Lisa Happy Birthday! And I have to laugh about you not being able to buy Lisa anything anymore. Peter has already found that out. For Christmas he was trying to find me winnie the pooh stuff, he went all over the place looking. I ordered myself some pajamas and he ended up giving them to me. Unfortunately, I'm not good at saying what I want, I usually don't know what I want. But if I see something at the store I usually just get it which is usually right after he has bought it and conveniently hid it.

Lisa said...

We didn't go shopping. I did the research online and picked what I liked. I wanted to make it sure it looked as good in person. We walked into the store and I went immediately to the store person, handed him my paper and asked if they had that rug in stock. He said they did he showed it to us. I wanted to see it in better light. He moved it down, I decided I liked it and we bought it. The process took maybe 15-20 mins. I don't consider that shopping!!

Lisa said...

Sarah was amazing at rock climbing!! Everyone there was blown away by this girl who had never done it before. She's a natural and she wouldn't leave until she had done everything!! She rappelled also. Our group had to wait for us!! The hike up was a killer thank heavens going down was easier.