Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Young Womans Recognition

Yesterday was beginning to get a little bit back to normal for me. In the afternoon Alex called to tell me that the window on his truck won't roll up. I was quite proud of him. He actually found a screw driver in his truck and took the door panel off himself. That is something that I would have done at his age but none of the other kids would have. He even realized that the problem was that the teeth in the window crank were stripped out. As I was talking to him I realized that he was heading to a passing league game at Torrey Pines High School. For those of you who might not know what "passing league" is, they are football games without the linesmen. Mostly, they pass the ball and don't run it. Since Torrey Pines is close to where I work I quickly packed up and headed over to watch him play. I was a bit surprised when I got there to see that he wasn't playing. In fact the coach only put him in the game a few times and each time he pulled him after a few plays. Finally, towards the end of the game, Alex saw me and came over to me. I guess he twisted his ankle in the first play of the game and when his coach saw him favoring his ankle he pulled him from the game. He played him a few times just to see how he was doing but only for a play or two. I don't know how I do it but I always seem to go to the games where my kids don't play and I miss the games where they are the stars. Sorry, because it was the last minute I didn't have my camera and so I don't have any football pictures. Even if I'd had my camera he hardly played anyway. Last night was Sarah's Young Woman Recognition Night. She has worked very hard and now is the time to get recognized for it. I really don't know what all she's done (does that tell you who's been working with her?) but the projects she displayed were (a) her running, (b) the tree house that her and I built (c) her volunteer work with the mentally handicapped kids at school and (d) she read the Book of Mormon. Part of the program was when the mothers and leaders sang a song. Since Lisa is both a mother and a leader she got to sing. The song was about the values sung to "I often go walking". It was supposed to be a serious song but it sounded rather funny. Sarah did a wonderful job in her talk and then we got to watch a slide show of her growing up. It was pretty cool.


Ben and Sharley were able to come and share the night with Sarah.











Mom and Dad were tremendously proud (a righteous pride of course)











Alex even took 90 minutes out of his busy schedule (somewhat reluctantly) to support his little sister. It made her day.

6 comments:

Kira said...

CONGRATULATIONS SARAH!!!!!!

Lisa said...

The song was rather cheesy and I wouldn't have picked it had it had been my choice. Sarah did a great job on her talk, projects etc.! Now that she has earned a silver medallion she wants to do the program again and earn a gold one.

Lynn said...

Congratulations Sarah! WOW! You have done really well with some AWESOME goals.

Fred.....you and Lisa have every right to be proud. You have done well.

Brandon J. Leavitt said...

You know dad, I dont usually sign on to blogger because I have set up a personal web browser that can scan my favorite blogs and web pages and automatically links them to my homepage. It is very efficient to be able to read it all in one place. The problem is, it links blogs through the title and since you never title your blogs I have to sing in to blogger everytime I want to read them. Just title them and you would make your son a lot more efficient with his limited online time.

Tiffanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffanie said...

Hi Sarah,

I'm sorry this is posted late, but congratulations on your achievement! You are a beautiful young women! The evening and presentation was lovely. Thank you for inviting me. I really enjoyed your enthusiasm and sweetness as you shared the story of the special needs student. You are definitely a gifted girl with a special spirit.

It was nice to see you too Fred, Lisa and Alex.

I hope your ankle has healed Alex.