Saturday, July 19, 2008

PQ5K Fun Run

Today was a great day except for the fact that we had to get up at 6:00 AM. In celebration of July 24th (for you non-Mormons, that would be the day that the first Mormons entered the Salt Lake Valley) the stake had a 5K fun run today. It is weird because I have been running 3 miles (5K) three days a week now for several months but I was very nervous about today. I suppose that is because there are several people in our ward who run a lot and I didn't want to look like a fool. Lisa, Alycia, Alycia's boyfriend Craig and Sarah ran with me (well, Lisa actually walked it) and we had a blast. We started at our Stake Center and ran to our ward building. We were trying to figure out how we were going to get back to our car at the stake center when Alex informed us that 6:00 was way too early for him but he wanted to show up for the pancake breakfast. That worked out perfect. I tried to get Ben and Sharley to run also especially since they still live in the stake but they too were not about to get up at six. The race was fun except I was quite disappointed with the start, they didn't have an official start so everyone just took off at random and I got caught at the traffic light and left with the second group. Because there was no official start there was no time kept either. I really wanted to see what my time was because I'm convinced it was my best time yet for 3 miles. When I run alone it is really hard to push yourself but in a group like this I always wanted to pass someone. Alycia, Craig and Sarah and I all started off together. I really wanted Sarah to try and win it because I know she could come close and she might even be able to be the first girl in. Craig also runs cross country so he too could have had a good chance. Sarah wanted to just enjoy herself and stay with us so we ran together and had a good time. Unfortunately, she's been sick all week so half way through the race she decided to stop and use the rest room at the gas station. I thought about waiting for her but decided instead to keep going and I figured she would have a good chance of catching up to me. About this time Alycia started to tucker out so I headed out alone. I found some kids who were going a pace that made me work and stayed right behind them. Sarah crossed the finish line just a few minutes behind me. While I was still recovering Sarah and Craig decided to run back and walk with Lisa. They're nuts. I couldn't have done too bad because there were not many people there when I got in and like I said, I was in the second group to start. Tonight we went to the missionary farewell for a good friend of Ben's. We have become good friends with the family. This poor boy has really been wanting to go on a mission ever since Ben left more than three years ago. He hasn't had any moral issues but it seems like one thing after another has come up and only now has he been able to go. He is very excited and so are we all. He was thrilled to see us but Ben was obviously the one he really wanted to see.

4 comments:

Kira said...

Yeah Dad!!! You are a stud! I can't wait to run with you in our half marathon next year! :-) You should get a watch to time yourself. 6 am?? The Disney marathon we got up at 3 am.

Fred ... said...

If I'm scared of 3 miles then 13 is terrifying. So is 3AM. I'm not so sure about this half marathon thing.

Lynn said...

Awesome! I love to see a fit family and a family that stays fit. : D

Kira said...

LOOK AT THOSE PICTURES...They are GREAT!!