Thursday, July 11, 2024

High Adventure - Day 1

Sunday, June 16, 2024

Last Tuesday (June 9) at 4:30 in the morning the Deacons and the Teachers met at the church, packed up our backpacks and gear and headed for Big Sur. Let me see if I can remember who was there.

Fred Leavitt 
Sterling Smith 
Kyle Knaphus
Danny Hall 
Matthew Miller 
Doug Bennion
Dave Bennion 
Peter Odenwalder 
Truman Larsen
Ronnie Miller 
Gavin Jack 
Grant Foster
Jack Keddington 
Connor Odenwalder 
Indy Boyd
Zaelin Andrew 
Donovan Bennion 
Martin Bennion
Kyle Bennion 
Parry Hilton 
EJ Pomeroy
Brayden Papin 
Monson Smith

On Tuesday morning Connor threw up in the parking lot before we even started. He and his dad figured it was mostly nerves but to be safe, they took Connor home and let him sleep for a couple of hours and brought him up later in the day.

After driving for about seven hours, we arrived at Pinnacles National Park where Gavin Jack threw up in the visitors center right in the middle of a video we were watching. It was pushing 100°F so we figured it was a combination of nerves, travelling and eating too much junk food. The plan was to take a short two or three mile hike through a tunnel but Sterling and I stayed back at the visitors center with Gavin while the rest of them went on the hike. I was bummed but someone had to do it and I figured it was best to let those adults with kids on the hike be with their kids. I got to read every display in the visitors center and talked the park rangers ear off. I learned some interesting facts.
I knew that the California Condor almost went extinct in 1982. I didn’t know that at that time there were just twenty two condor left in the world and they were all in captivity. None were left in the wild.

After breeding them in captivity for a number of years, Pinnacles was one of the locations where they were released back into the wild. They now have around one hundred condors between Pinnacles and Big Sur and the 1,000th condor in the world has just hatched. I didn’t get to see the tunnel, but it was amazing to watch the Condor flying around the area.

From Pinnacles we headed into Big Sur. We camped in the Fernwood Campground. It was a beautiful campground and the first thing I did was hang my hammock between two big redwoods.
The Big Sur river flowed through our campsite and Kyle had brought a couple of rubber tubes so we would run up to one end of the camp ground and float down to the other end. The water was cold and shallow so I dragged bottom a couple of times but it was a blast.

The campground had free showers, so I showered, we ate dinner, had a devotional put on by the boys and then went to bed. This was my view as I woke up the next morning.

The Red Woods are amazing.

-------------------trivia--------------------
The fine for killing a California Condor is $100,000.
---------------------------------------------

No comments: