Saturday, April 19, 2008

Alex's Volleyball and other Athletics






It's still coming off. This morning I weighed in at 207.0 pounds. That is more than four pounds since Wednesday, an average of more than a pound a day. The weekends are always the toughest though. Too many temptations. Wish me luck.

If you read my post a couple of days ago you may remember that the only "D" I have ever had in grade school was in phys ed. That should give you some idea of how inclined I am towards organized sports. Don't get me wrong, I love hiking and skiing and those kinds of things and I've always been very active but when it comes to competition it just isn't in my make-up. You can imagine what an adjustment it was for me then when so many of my kids have embraced sports. Kira was the first confusion for me, in high school she was on the girls volleyball team and the track team doing high jumping. She lettered in track. Brandon was more like me, he would go for a three or four mile run just for the fun of it but he figured football was quite barbaric. I think he may have changed his tune a bit on that one but he never did high school sports. Ben was the biggest adjustment for me though. Sports is his life. As a junior he lettered in football, basketball and volleyball. He would have done more sports if they had more seasons in the year. The very first football game I ever watched (that is including on TV) was Ben when he was a freshman in high school. I'm only now figuring out all the subtleties of the sport watching Alex. Alex's friend , Nate Turnwall, gave me a book called "Football for Dummies". It's actually good reading. Ben is even on a football scholarship in college right now. Alycia did field hockey and lacrosse and she lettered in lacrosse, Alex is taking after Ben, he plays football, basketball and volleyball and he has lettered in football and volleyball and if he wants to he will letter in basketball next year. Sarah is my biggest surprise. I never figured her for a competitive one but she is my only three sport daughter (I'm sure Kira would consider marching band a sport though). As a freshman Sarah is on the track team, girls basketball and cross country. They get that aggressive tendency from their mother.

So Alex had a Volleyball tournament this weekend. I love to watch him play. They won their pool last night and then this morning (at 8:30 groan) they had the playoffs. I attached a couple of his spikes (or kills or aces, I'm still trying to get the lingo down) so you could enjoy watching him along with me. Alex's number is #1.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Just a reminder, but Alycia played three sports her freshman year as well like Sarah. She too was on the freshman basketball team.

Lynn said...

LOL! You are like Dean and I when it comes to sports. I think I need that "Football for DUmmies book". Way to go for your kids however! That is so awesome. They will have great memories forever of their sports they played and did so well in.
BTW---awesome job on losing weight. My goodness.