Friday, April 25, 2008

Brandon and Serene Graduation

Today I would like to say how proud I am of my son Brandon and his wife Serene. They have gone though one very stressful year and overcome tremendous challenges to achieve their goal. Today they both graduated from Brigham Young University. Brandon is in a biochemistry major which is a very challenging major. On top of that he is holding down a part time. Brandon has been doing research work in the Chemistry department to help support his wife and child. Yes, I said child. Brandon married Serene Quinn December 30, 2006 and nine months later his wife Serene blessed me with a beautiful little grand daughter. That wasn't quite how they planned it but here she is and we couldn't be more thrilled. To make things even more challenging, as his wife was going into labor he was studying for his LSAT and writing midterms. He wrote his LSAT just days before Sydney was born. After the arrival of this beautiful little girl Serene and Brandon started taking her to class with them. I guess that worked out OK until Sydney got a little older and started talking during class. The professers at BYU are very understanding but they can't allow babies to disturb their lectures. Serene also graduated today along with Brandon but if you think the birth of the baby made midterms challenging for Brandon how do you think it was for Serene? Can you imagine, she was attending classes even while she was carrying her baby. She did take a light load during the fall semester when Sydney was born but still, she had a baby while she was attending classes. This semester however she took a heavier load and in spite of it all she graduated Cum Laude. If you're like me and didn't really know what Cum Laude means, it means you're one of the top 10% of the graduating class. I can't imagine attending school the same semester as you deliver a child. Today Brandon and Serene graduated from University and I couldn't be more proud. Brandon is going to be attending law school at Pepperdine in the fall. We will be glad to have them closer to home.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

AWww....that is SO awesome! Congratulations!!! What a nice tribute to your son and his wife. And it only goes to show that the "apple does not fall far from the tree".

Kira said...

Congrats to Brandon, I wish I was there. Hey I hear he has a blog!

Anonymous said...

AHHH only if you would let me miss school to see that!!!!!!