Monday, April 21, 2008

The Qualcomm Years

Today we experienced a bit of a set back. I swear all I ate yesterday was two bowls of cereal in the morning and two sloppy joe's for dinner in the evening. The root beer float I had was really tiny, honest it was. Anyway, I weighed in at 208.1. I gained a pound and a half. That's it, no more ice cream sundaes and no root beer floats, even tiny ones. Maybe that is why they call this a low carb diet. Now on to Fred Leavitt part V - The Qualcomm Years. Qualcomm is the inventor of CDMA which is a very ingenious way of building a cell phone. The problem is, they had this new fancy chip but no one made phones that could use it. They decided that they had to build the phone themselves. I was hired by the phone factory as a "Supplier Management Engineer". My job was to manage suppliers and so out of necessity I would have to travel to the suppliers factories. My first crisis was connectors. They had just had this major problem with bad connectors and so shortly after I hired on I was off to Cambridge, England to visit the Elco factory. It was a rather freaky experience since I was so green and I had not traveled that much at Global or Hi-Z. It got even more exciting when Elco thought I was coming the next week so there was no one to meet me at the airport and no hotel room. After I solved their connector problem they added keypads and then cables and then switches and after a while I covered all electromechanical components. They then needed someone on circuit boards and then they had a major problem with batteries and asked if I wanted to take on that headache. All of the sudden I was home again, my entire adult life I had been working with energy generation and here I was back to batteries which is energy once again. The only down side with batteries is that all of those factories are in Asia and I would much rather travel to Europe. The battery in the picture is my design and I have two patents on that battery pack. You would be surprised what they will give you a patent for. When CDMA caught on and other factories started making CDMA phones Qualcomm decided to get out of the phone business and focus on their chips. They sold the factory to Kyocera. To make it even more complicated, Kyocera recently bought Sanyo's cell phone devision so if you see a Sanyo cell phone we make it too. To keep this story short I have now moved from Supplier management to Engineering and I am the person responsible for the design of the batteries so I am still very involved with the suppliers. It is a good job. I now have a guy working for me so I don't travel as much but in my life time I have been to the following countries and states. Canada, USA, Mexico, Belgium, Holland, France, Italy, England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Philippines, Thailand, Taiwan, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, Washington DC, Virginia, New York, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Oklahoma, Georgia, Tennisee, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Kansas, Missouri, New Jersey, Alaska, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Louisiana, Wisconsin, Iowa and Indiana. I'm sure I missed something somewhere but you get the idea. The ironic part is that I've never had the desire to travel and I've ended up at all those places and yet Lisa would love to travel and she's stuck at home. Hopefully, I can get her out to some of these places. The one thing that traveling has done for me and is I really appreciate the good old USA.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahaha i made you eat it!!!!! lol