Thursday, February 05, 2009

BYU

I have no idea why I was so narrow minded but it never occurred to me to go to any other university than BYU. I don't know why that was, none of my siblings went to BYU and none of my friends did but that was the only school I was interested in and it was the only school I applied for. I also have no idea why I never applied for any scholarships either but it never thought of it and apparantly niether did my parents. I did have to write the ACT test and I scored well enough on the math portion that I was able to skip the GE math class and go straight into calculus. Our family was in Utah for some reason and while we were there Mom and Dad found out about a room for rent. It was off campus but right on the edge and so close to all my classes. So, after working for my last summer in Waterton it was off to BYU. I actually rode down with Greg and Gaylia. I'm not sure where they were going but where ever it was, they dropped me off at my new home.

My new home was a very strange place. It was on 5th ave east half way up the hill on the south side of campus. It was literally twenty ten feet from campus. It was a house with a family living in the upstairs and the basement was rented to eight boys. There were four bedrooms with two guys in each room. They had two very tiny bathrooms and the kitchen was literally in the furnace room. The furnace room was small enough that I could stand in the middle and reach out my arms and I could almost reach both walls. On one of my recent trips to Provo I have driven by and to my great dissappointment I saw that my house is now a parking lot. The spot where my actual bed was is now where they park motor bikes. I've marked on the satellite image where my house was, the ditch and the hill where we used to go ice blocking. You might have to enlarge the image to read the words. I also put an "X" in the approximate spot where my bed was.


I don't remember all of my room mates but let me describe them as best I can. My actual room mate was a quiet guy and that is perhaps why I don't remember his name. There was a French Canadian from Montreal who was older fellow. He had gone off the deep end and was involved in drugs and everything that goes with that life style. He was trying to get himself straightened out and doing a pretty good job. There was a couple of guys who were majoring in electrical engineering, they came in very handy on several occassions. There was this big Hawaiian guy. He was probably the oldest of us all coming in around 26 or so. He loved to buy "poi" and that was the first time I had ever heard of such stuff. It is really quite gross. And then there was Lyman Rose. He was the only other freshman. Lyman for some reason wasn't too interested in school and I remember he ended up failing every one of his classes. I couldn't help but think it was such a waste of money. Of course it was his Dads money. I was going through on my own money and so I was much more worried about not wasting my hard earned cash. Because the house was on a hill we had a door that went straight into our basement. Right beside our door was an irrigation ditch that flowed past. We would sometimes buy blocks of ice and slide down the hill into the irrigation ditch. My room mates were all very nice guys and we never had any conflicts of any kind. In fact, we had some wonderful experiences that I'm going to love telling you about.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Dean will Love reading THIS post! He went there too.

KarinC said...

Rick and I went to BYU. We have fond memories. I can still remember paying around $330 for a spring term, and around $820 for a semester. My apartment rent was $79 dollars. Utlilities was a whooping $8 bucks. When I married Rick we paid $120 dollars for rent and food was $20 dollars a week.That was alot of money back then. We had good times. I do remember some of the prices because things have changed alot since then.
Looking forward to reading about your experiences.
Cahoons in NY

Kira said...

Oh BYU ... can't wait to hear the stories! :-)