Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Mr Torns

This week is promising to be a very action packed week. First of all, Kira arrived yesterday. Her High School band instructor is retiring and today was his last band concert after 35 years of teaching. He has taught at three different high schools and they had representatives from each of them. Kira got to be the representative from Mt Carmel High School. They each gave a very nice tribute but Kira's was so much better than the rest. It was a beautiful evening. It totally reminds me of "Mr Hollands Opus".

Another interesting thing happened today. For Alex's economics class he had to give a speech today. He did his speech on McDonald's and he practiced at home so I know it was a very good and well prepared speech. I haven't talked to him yet but from what I hear he receive essentially full marks for the speech but the teacher docked him 30 points. He was discussing the time period in the early part of this decade when McDonalds was taking a lot of flak about being unhealthy. McDonalds was actually losing money at that time and and to make his point he showed a picture of a fat man. I thought the picture was very relevant and apppropriate but the teacher was very angry with him. I get so tired of all the politically correct garbage that goes on in todays world. Lisa and I are both very ready to go and do battle but Alex doesn't want to. I guess we will have to respect his wishes but I'm really ticked.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Good for Kira! I wondered why she had left town.

Good for Alex too! I TOTALLY hear you on going to battle for our kids....I am SO tired of the battles with teachers. You are very correct in saying that there is TOO much politically correct stuff out there. People are no longer allowed any freedom of opinions anymore. The pendulum as swung WAY too far the other way. There truly has to be a balance.

Lisa said...

At least his picture was to support a fact. One other kid showed a picture of himself drop kicking a baby and didn't get docked at all and was not told it was offensive like Alex's picture was. Go figure!!! Oh, and Kira did give the best tribute.

Kira said...

it really was a good night wasn't it?