Thursday, November 30, 2023

My DNA

Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Several years ago I joined a DNA study by a group called “All of Us”. Their goal is to include at least one million people in the study so that they can learn just how our DNA relates to every aspect of our live. Their main goal is to include people of all races and all ages. Until now, most studies have tended to focus on European men.
When I joined the study, they promised to send me some results of my testing but until now I have received nothing, just a lot of surveys. Last year, however, I did get some results. The first group was interesting but meaningless, but this last round was interesting and provided me with some useful information. I do have at least one defective gene.

Here is what my DNA has taught me so far:

· I am 100% Northern & Central European
· I can taste certain bitter compounds
· I like cilantro
· My earwax is wet and sticky
· I am not lactose intolerant
· I don’t have any of the genetic diseases that they searched for
· My body will metabolize all of the medications normally except for one My SLCO1B1 gene will metabolize simvastatin (Zocor®) very slowly. That means that if I were ever on this medication, it might take my body a long time to remove it and I could have side effects, mostly sore muscles. Simvastatin is a drug to help reduce cholesterol. Luckily, I have very low cholesterol.

-------------------trivia--------------------
There is 10 times more bacteria in your body than actual body cells, and 90% of the cells that make us up of aren’t human but mostly fungi and bacteria.
---------------------------------------------


No comments: