Monday, November 27, 2023

Wyoming

After Skye was born, Sam's parents were the first to go visit and they were planning to stay through the Labor day weekend. Sam’s parents left earlier than expected and Mom was there the next day on August 29th. She had a great time getting to know our newest grandchild and catching up with the rest of Sarah's family. She also spent a lot of time with Ezzie. She was able to stay through the long weekend.















Her flight home was a bit of an ordeal though. Due to thunderstorms in Denver the flight from Casper was delayed by a couple of hours. She would have missed her connecting flight entirely but luckily the flight from Denver to San Diego was also delayed.

When she landed in Denver she was certain she had missed the connecting flight, and the gate she needed to be at was on the oppossite end of the terminal, but she figured she should give it her best effort. She ran the entire way. As she ran, some guy in one of those golf carts saw that she was about to have a heart attack so he asked if she would like a ride. Lisa gratefully accepted the offer.

When they arrived at the gate, the lady was waiting for her and Lisa was the last person on the plane. It was the last flight leaving for San Diego, if she had missed it she would have been spending the night at the airport.

While Lisa was in Wyoming, I managed to keep myself busy.
On August 16 I got tested for hearing aids. I’ve been trying to ignore this for a while now but Lisa makes it hard for me to ignore. I finally relented and made an appointment to have my hearing checked and sure enough, I could “benefit” from hearing aids.

This is a copy of my hearing test, if you look at the left part of the curve my hearing is on the low end of normal but as you move to the higher frequencies (the right part of the curve) my hearing drops off a lot. That means I’m not getting the higher frequencies which makes it difficult for me to decern speech.
I picked up my new hearing aids on Aug 23.









August 30 was what they called a super blue moon. It was a super moon because the moons orbit isn’t exactly a circle. This means that sometimes it is closer to the earth than at other times. A super moon in when it is closest to the earth and on that day it looks bigger than normal. It was a blue moon because it was the second full moon in a single month. I have no idea why they would call that a blue moon but there you have it.

Our neighbor took this picture of the moon on that night. 


I love this picture of the moon over the San Diego temple but I’m pretty sure that picture is a composite of two different pictures. It is still beautiful.







September 2nd is a special day for me. It is the day I was baptised, it is the day my first child was born making me a father, my Uncle Jay was born on this day and today Evan went to his Homecoming dance.


He didn’t go on an offical date, but rather they went as a group. He did buy himself a boutenier and a corsauge for a girl. When his group got together he gave the corsauge to a girl so in the picture it does look like he is on a date with a pretty girl.






The next day on September 3, I conducted my first sacrament meeting. It is rather scary. I know that it is simple in concept but if I make a mistake everyone in the congregation will see it. I think I would rather deliver a talk than conduct the meeting because I can at least prepare for a talk. There isn’t much you can do to prepare to conduct a meeting. Fast Sunday is even worse because on Fast Sunday I “get” to share my testimoney as well. That is another thing you can’t really prepare for. To make things worse, at the last minute our Stake President came up to the stand and sat by me. It went well. 

Last year when I saw a bunch of weeds growing in one of our planters I figured we might as well put it to good use. At first we planted a bunch of onions which grew really well. After the onions died off, we planted a couple of tomato plants and a couple pepper plants. It was too late in the season and they did not do well. The cherry tomatos were good but we only got a couple of big tomatos and a couple of tiny peppers. This year however thy thrived.
















---------------trivia---------------
A Russian man complained of intense chest pain; after some x-rays, doctors believed that he had a tumor. They performed surgery, and the doctors found a pine tree growing inside the man’s set of lungs.
------------------------------------


No comments: