Friday, June 07, 2024

Dad, Tell Me About the Time…(27)

Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Were you in any clubs in high school?

See my answer to the previous question.

Who taught you to drive?

I’m not sure. My first memory of “driving” was when I was about five years old. Greg was throwing hay to some cows in a field, and we had a big old one ton truck pulling a flatbed trailer with hay bales on it. Or maybe he was throwing bales onto the trailer, I’m not sure. In any case, the truck had a manual throttle and he pulled out the throttle so the truck would drive quite slowly, and stood me on the seat of the truck and told me to follow the furrows in the field.

We did that and he was doing his thing on the trailer and when we got to the end of the field he would hop in the cab and turn the truck around and then repeat.

When I was about twelve, we lived in Waterton, and I was the laundry boy, so I had to go and get dirty sheets from the chamber maids. To get sheets from the Ponderosa Motel I had to drive the car down to the Ponderosa, and throw the sheets into the back seat of the car and drive it back. I don’t remember who made sure I could drive, but it was probably my mom or one of my sisters. All I know is that I made the drive (only a few hundred yards) several times a day and, on occasion, I may have taken a bit of a detour (a few miles around town).

When I got my learners license at fourteen, I was already very comfortable with driving but by law I needed an adult in the car with me and that was mostly mom.

Did you ever attend any school dances? Which was your most memorable and why?

 I never missed a dance, church dance or school dance. I loved the idea of dancing with a girl but all I ever did was stand against the wall for an hour until there were a bunch of people on the dance floor and then I would look for a girl who was pretty and by herself and then I would ask her to dance. I was so scared. Some would give me a resigned, pitiful look but only a few rejected me. I would never talk during the dance because I was far too scared but also because the music was so loud, we couldn’t hear each other anyway.

What made this process so hard was that the girls were never alone. They would always form a herd and I was terrified that a girl would reject me, and the entire herd would laugh or give me that disgusted look I so often got.

On occasion, a girl wouldn’t run the instant the song ended, and we would dance a few dances.

The most memorable dance was one time I was standing by Tom Crooks and the main door to the gym opened and a streaker ran through the crowd and out an emergency exit. All he had on was a ski mask and running shoes. What is funny is that everyone knew who he was.

My other memorable dance was my graduation dance where I actually asked a girl to go to the dance with me. Her name was Dorene Card, and it was definitely a pity dance. I’m glad she was nice to me. We didn’t talk much but I had fun. I don’t think she did, but she was good about it. 

-------------------trivia--------------------
The name Jessica was created by Shakespeare in the play Merchant of Venice.
---------------------------------------------

No comments: