Monday, June 03, 2024

Mother's Day

Monday, May 13, 2024

When Lisa and I got engaged I was a poor college student. It was also 1981. In addition to my poverty, both gold and diamond prices hit a high in 1981 that they have still never seen since. 
In other words, Lisa’s wedding ring is a very high-quality ring, but her diamond is about the size of what our kids have as accent stones. I love Lisa’s ring, but I’ve always felt bad that I couldn’t get her something more. It was about our tenth anniversary that I started suggesting that maybe we upgrade the stone in her ring, but she would have none of it. It was her wedding ring, and she was going to wear it until she dies. I backed off a bit, but still, from time to time over the years I have suggested upgrading her ring.
Over the last few years Lisa has been unable to wear many of her rings because arthritis is swelling the joints in her fingers. Back in November, Lisa decided to take them in and get them expanded so she could wear them again. As she was waiting to be helped, she was wandering around the store looking at rings and she totally fell in love with one ring in particular. She told me that it would not replace her wedding ring, but she would love to wear it on her right hand. After years of urging her to “upgrade” her ring, how could I say no? 
The specifications of the diamond are:

Round Brilliant
6.01 x 6.03 x 3.7mm
Carat weight 0.82
Color grade F
Clarity grade VS2
Cut grade ideal
Polish excellent
Unlike many diamonds, my diamond is a very young diamond. While most diamonds were born over a billion years ago, mine was born on October 6, 2023, right here in the good old USA.

It was not an inexpensive ring and I have been paying for it since last November, but I was able to buy it in time for Mother’s Day. She was totally surprised. She had no idea I was paying it off and was about to suggest that we see if we could get her deposit back. Even when she opened the box and saw that it was jewelry she assumed it was a necklace or some other type of jewelry. I made her cry.
I also made her a big breakfast. It included pancakes, bacon, sausage, omelet, toast, cereal, fruit, oatmeal, and yogurt. After church I barbecued some pork chops. I think she enjoyed Mother’s Day this year.
--------------------trivia--------------------
Many stars have diamond cores. 
The biggest known diamond in the universe weighs 2.27 thousand trillion tonnes, 
or 10 billion trillion carats. 
----------------------------------------------

No comments: