Monday, June 02, 2008

Toronto - day 1

Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Brandon and Fara, happy birthday to you. For those who don't know, Brandon was born on my sister Fara's birthday. Happy birthday to both of you. All day yesterday I was thinking that my flight left this morning at 10:30 or 11:00. Imagine my surprise last night at midnight when I decided to check and realized it left at 8:30. That meant that I had to get up at 6:00. Groan. What a wonderful week it has been. I hate to see it end. The school kids no longer have seminary so they all got to sleep in and I was the first one up. I chose to sleep rather than eat so I quickly packed up and by then Lisa was up so I kissed her and headed out the door. I have a good book to read but once I was on the plane there was no way I could read it. I was asleep before the plane left the gate. I was stuck in a middle seat and I really hate that but since I was sleeping it made little difference. I sure feel sorry for the people on either side of me. In case you don't know, I have sleep apnea and I snore very loudly. I wake myself up sometimes. Other than waking myself up occasionally and then going right back to sleep I slept for at least three hours. I makes for a short flight when you sleep the whole way. We landed in Detroit and that is a first for me. I've never been to Detroit before. Does it count if you don't leave the airport? The decent into Detroit was very rough. I'm sure if I hadn't been reading my book I would have been fine but I suddenly got a bad case of motion sickness. I started looking for the little barf bag they supply but thank goodness the plane landed and I didn't end up needing it. The problem is that it takes hours before you feel normal again. The airport here is quite nice. I'm walking down the terminal and then right overhead along comes the train. It was quite startling to see a train running overhead down the terminal. The other cool thing here is the big water fountain they have in the middle of the terminal. It is one of those fountains with the dancing water. It is also pretty cool because the water in the fountain runs over the edge of the wall onto the floor and then back underneath the fountain. I really liked it. The flight from Detroit to Toronto was less than an hour. Thank goodness I had an isle seat this time. I called the hotel from Detroit to ask if they had an airport shuttle and they told me they didn't. When I asked what the best way to get from the airport to their hotel was they said to just take a taxi. They told me the taxi would be $30 to $40 so I didn't figure that was too bad. Cheaper than renting a car and since the meetings are right here in the hotel I didn't really need a car. When I finally landed in Toronto I called Tim, the other engineer I work with, and he had paid about $35 for a taxi. Tim landed before me. So I walk out of the airport looking for a taxi and there is a limo. I ask the driver how much it would cost to go to the hotel and tells me $37. Not bad eh? I figured for an extra $2 I could handle the limo. The ride was about half an hour. The room is really quite nice. The hotel is out in the boonies and there isn't much out here but I have a clean room and a king sized bed so I'm not going to complain. Since I had eaten no breakfast and only had a "Coney Island" hot dog in Detroit I was quite hungry. I was also tired so I just ate here at the hotel. I have a real bad habit that comes from being cheap. If I pay for food I feel like I need to eat it all or it is a waste. My stomach has shrunk a lot over the last month or two and I couldn't finish my hamburger. It was a huge hamburger too. I was stuffed buy I had to force myself not to eat the whole hamburger. Dumb eh? I did find out a cool new food though. I'm trying hard to cut back on refined carbs and go for more fiber filled carbs. One of my all time favorite foods is french fries but they are poison to me. It is a real sacrifice to cut out potatoes but I've been substituting in sweet potatoes lately because they are high in fiber and I like them. Well the restaurant tonight had sweet potato fries. How about that? They were real good too? I think I'm going to ask Lisa to buy a sweet potato every now and then and I'm going to deep fry the thing. Well I'd better get to bed because the meetings start early tomorrow and they're going to be boring.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh sweet potato fries are heavenly. Especially all spiced up. They have bags of them at Costco up here that you can buy. Already diced and spiced. And all I have to do is pop them in the oven. They crisp up just as if they were fried. Oh, SO good and healthy. Way to go with changing your eating habits. You inspire me. I have a real problem with food. I like it all and I like lot's of it.
Very cool about the train and fountain in the airport terminal. It reminds me of how much I think I am behind in things. Those things are like looking at the old TV show....Space 1999. And here it is already 2008. *sigh*

Kira said...

you need to have Mark's sweet potatoe fries