Friday, June 13, 2008

The Lost is Found

You won't believe what happened last night. Anyone who was here will certainly remember the night we had the family dinner for Ben and Sharley. After we all got home and were beginning to relax Lisa noticed that the ruby out of her ring was missing. We went back to the church and searched everywhere but couldn't find it. There was one bag of garbage that we hadn't hauled out to the dumpster so I brought it home to go through it. It was late at night and dark and we were all tired so I waited until the next day to go through the garbage when it was light and I was more alert. Well as it happened, the next day was the wedding, Sunday Brandon, Kira, Justin and Evan left, and then I was off to Toronto and you know how it is. All this week Lisa has been complaining about the smell in the garage because that garbage was full of old food and decomposing avocado's etc. so last night after work I hauled the bag into the back yard and started going through it. You can only imagine the smell, the stuff was now two weeks old and all green and fuzzy. Lisa saw me gagging and told me not to bother, we'd never find the ruby but I figured it was our last hope so I persisted. About half way through the bag you will never guess what I found. Well, I suppose you've already guessed what I found. Sitting there among all the rotten food was a little red oval. You're right, I found her ruby. Amazing isn't it? This morning was the first day I've had since before the wedding where I could actually get some stuff done around this house. We were actually quite productive. First thing this morning we took my scouts out to the canyon to pass off their orienteering requirements for their first class rank. To see pictures of the canyon refer to my blog on bike to work day. It is a beautiful canyon. We went out about a mile with the compasses but hiking back to the cars one of the boys (Andrew) was complaining about how boring it was to stay on the trail. He wanted to go through the bush. We told him to go ahead but he had to have another boy with him and a map and compass. No one else wanted to go so he was out of luck. I finally told him that if he was bored we should run back to the cars. I was feeling pretty good about myself with my new found energy from running so I offered to run with him. So off we go, he headed out quite fast and I'm lumbering along in my hiking boots. Don't run in hiking boots, they weren't made for that. I remember thinking that this was going to be very embarrassing if he kept up his speed. I was quickly getting left in the dust. Thank goodness he only lasted about a quarter mile and he stopped and walked. As I ran on by him I told him to get running but secretly I was hoping he wouldn't. I figured I could probably make it the mile to the car but it was really going to hurt. Well Andrew did start running again but he didn't make it very far so I figured I should be the good scout master and walk with him. Thank goodness. This afternoon we were making good headway on the house and yard, I had fixed all the broken sprinkler, picked up the dog poop, repaired Alex's outlet and was ready to clean up Ben's left over mess in his bedroom when Lisa suggested we go out for lunch since I won't be here for Fathers day. It was a lot of fun. We went to "Chi Burgers". So far since winning the bet with Brandon I've kept my weight under 200 pounds. I'm quite proud of that. I don't think I will weigh myself tomorrow. I'm quite sure that huge shake, huger hamburger and all the fries and onion rings will have sent me over. Oh well, I lost in once, I can lose it again. It was fathers day. Tonight Sarah went to the stake dance and had a great time. In this area they have a stake dance about every weekend and they take turns between the various stakes in the area. Our kids normally go the the Penasquitos Stake (that's ours), the Poway Stake, Escondido South, Escondido North and Del Mar Stake dances. There are others but they are farther away and we don't often go to them. Today was Escondido North and it is about 20 miles away. That is the farthest of them all. Because I leave early tomorrow Ben and Sharley came over tonight to wish me a happy fathers day. It was very nice of them. Brandon also called from Alaska and it was nice to talk to him too. I sure ripped myself off this time. I can't believe I'm leaving on fathers day. I have to head for the airport at six in the morning. I'm going to miss fathers day. Oh well, I didn't really have a choice. It was either miss fathers day or miss the fourth of July and I wanted to be here for that and Lisa's birthday which is the next day. Wish me luck, I'll try and send some nice pictures from Japan and China.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

We missed you today but Alex had your pie they served the Dad's at church. It just didn't seem right to not have you here. Happy Father's Day! We love you! xxoo

Lisa said...

I forgot to say that I still can't believe you found the ruby. What are the odds? I'll probably walk around the rest of my life saying "I can't believe Fred found the ruby!!" Thanks for going through all that gross stuff! You are the best!! xxoo

Lynn said...

You win FATHER and HUSBAND of the year award!

Lisa, you have one amazing man to go through all the rotting garbage. Oh happy day! That's so amazing and cool that you found the ruby!

Kira said...

WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!! This is the first time I have had to read through blogs since packing etc. What a miracle!!!!