Friday, June 27, 2008

Tianjin - day 12

I am 100% superman. I tried Brandon's dumb little superhero test and according to that test I scored 100% superman. I like that, maybe the test isn't so dumb after all. As far as super villains go I'm Mr Freeze at 81%. Who the heck is Mr Freeze? In the middle of the talks today I got a phone call so thinking it was my darling wife calling I quickly ran out into the foyer and it was Lishen. They wanted to take us out for lunch today. That was good because the meals here are getting quite boring. Yesterday they had the exact same food for lunch and for dinner. While it was all good three or four days ago it hasn't changed much over the week and I'm really craving a good In-n-Out hamburger. The spices they use in China are OK the first week but by the second week I get tired of them. Of course having a major case of the runs yesterday may have influence my appetite a bit too. So today we had my favorite Chinese food, Peking Duck. Since the president of Lishen joined us for lunch I decided against pulling out my camera and taking a picture of it but I found a good picture on the internet. The only other unusual food was the Shark Fin soup. The soup is good but I think substituting mushrooms for the shark fins would be just as good. Let me tell you about the first time I had Peking duck. They wheel this beautiful duck out to your table and start cutting the skin off the duck. They neatly pile that skin on a plate and I'm wondering why they are skinning my duck for me. They never worry about bones or heads or eyeballs any other time it seemed weird that they are worrying about the skin, especially when it is such pretty skin. Well the next thing I know they put the skin on the table and wheel away the duck. I was quite surprised to learn that with Peking duck you eat the skin and not the duck. They then bring out these little mini tacos. They're about 4 or 5 inches in diameter and very thin. You dip a piece of skin in a plum sauce, throw on some thinly sliced onions (actually I think they're scallions what ever that is) and a piece of cucumber and other little grass like things and then roll it up and eat it. It is very good. So there are a million companies in town today and they all want to visit Lishen plus he is busy with this conference plus the show we went to on Wednesday and he took the time to join us for lunch today. This man is the President of the billion dollar company. That is quite an honor. Two of the Lishen girls that are assigned to work with us are Grace and Christina. Most Chinese people when they learn English take on an English name. I always figured that would be kind of cool to pick you own name. So I told the two girls that I really liked their names. Two of my daughters have the same middle names. Alycia Grayce and Sarah Christine. Pretty cool eh? While we were waiting for Lishen to pick us up I decided to get a picture of myself giving a speech from the little pulpit. It's been a long time since I presented a paper. I kind of miss doing research work. Tomorrow should be an exciting day. The conference people have tours planned for us. I'm scheduled to see the great wall, the Ming Tombs and a jade factory.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

LOL! Superman, eh? Well, Lisa might think you are with ALL that you do.....flying here and there all over the world.

That peking duck looks SO good. I wonder what they do with the rest of the duck? I hope it doesn't go to waste. I would love to have the meat or something at least in another dish.

Kira said...

Mr. Freeze is from Batman. His character was played by Arnold Schwarzinager. Congrats on the hero and the villain. I love it.

Fred ... said...

They make soup out of the rest of the duck.

Lisa said...

I think it's interesting how you and Brandon both were Superman and that both of your villain characters were from Batman. I've always said you two are a lot alike!!