Sunday, June 01, 2008

They are all leaving

Today was a nice relaxing day after the whirl wind week we have had. For me it started early. Brandon had to head back north to continue earning money for his very expensive law school tuition and his flight left at the insane hour of 6:30 AM. That meant he had to be there by about 5:00 which meant that we had to get up around 4:15. It was sad to see him go and I know it was tough for him too. He left his darling wife and little girl behind so we could get a chance to see them for a bit after the commotion of last week all settled down. I'm so glad that they are going to be living within a reasonable distance to us next year. I expect we will be making a few trips to Malibu. I then came home and promptly went right back to bed. Our church meetings this year don't start until 12:30. That makes for a nice and peaceful morning but you have no day left after you get home and eat dinner. While I was sorting through the 700 pictures that I took yesterday Grandpa was teaching Kira how to play the bag pipes and Peter, Justin, Alex and Sarah played a rip roaring game of "Settlers of Catan". That really is a fun game and I wanted to play but sometimes there just isn't enough hours in the day. It has also the first time that Grandpa and Nana have been able to see Evan so we made sure we too a four generation picture. Grandma Shaw had her four generation pictures at Christmas time when everyone was home. The first Sunday of every month is a "Fast and Testimony" meeting at church. This is different from other meetings in that members of the congregation who feel so inclined can get up and express their feelings over the pulpit. The Fast part is because we go to church fasting and the testimony part is because we normally testify to the divinity of God and Jesus Christ. This Sunday was especially wonderful because all of our children who were there (Kira, Alex and Sarah) took the opportunity to bear their testimonies. Brandon had already left for Alaska, Ben was on his honeymoon and Alycia had to work but it was still very cool. I really wanted to get up and say something but I think if I had it would have only detracted from what my wonderful children had said so I stayed put. It was a wonderful and relaxed morning, a beautiful service and afterward we polished off a huge roast. Later in the evening we had another sad event. We had to drive Justin, Kira and Evan to the airport and send another portion of my heart off on an airplane. It's just too bad we have to work. It is very clear to me that true happiness in this life comes from our children.

1 comment:

Tiffanie said...

Hey Fred,

I always enjoy reading about the latest events in the Leavitt household. Those are some fun pictures. The four generation picture is great! Family is what it is all about, and you are truly blessed with an amazing one!