Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Toronto - day 3

This morning I didn't get to sleep in. Darn. I did manage to stay awake in my meetings however. The day was rather uneventful but then
at 4:30 I ran downstairs and rented a car. Tim and I decided that we would run down south and take a look at the Niagara Falls. The concierge told us that it was a 45 minute drive but talking to a fellow in our meetings I learned that it would be over an hour and possibly much longer if we were driving during in rush hour. Well, leaving at 5:00 was definitely during rush hour. It took us about an hour and forty five minutes to get down there. Niagara Falls are very majestic. It was well worth the trip down there. We parked the car in the area above the falls and walked down river. The mist was so heavy that we were drenched within minutes. There is a gift shop right at the top of the falls and I couldn't help thinking how depressing it would be to work in an area where it rains 24 hours a day 365 days a year. The grass grows well though. At one point the mist was so thick that I could hardly see anything. If you notice in my picture my shirt tail is untucked. I felt stupid when I saw that in my pictures but I had my shirt tail out to keep cleaning my glasses. We walked along the river for a ways and I took a whole bunch of pictures. I've heard about Niagara Falls all my life and here they were, right in front of me. This is where my Mom and Dad went to on their honeymoon. I sure wish Lisa could be with me. I was really worried as we were driving down there because the fog was starting to roll in but all of the sudden it cleared up just before we got there. I've always figured that it was a rip off because the Americans owned Goat Island (between the two falls) but after seeing it I realized the Canadians definitely have the better deal. We have a beautiful view of both falls and the Americans can't see them at all from their side. After about a half hour we piled back in the car and headed north again. The drive down was about an hour and forty five minutes but the drive back was barely an hour. Before we went back to the hotel we headed to a Thai restaurant for dinner. I had Mongolian beef and it was very good. The restaurant had water running down two of their walls and it was rather noisy. I complained to Tim about the noise the water was making and he laughed and said, "Fred, we just came from Niagara Falls and you're complaining about that?" It was really quite funny. I'm quite excited now. Tomorrow I get to go home.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Gorgeous views! Do you keep a record some where of all the places you've been and seen? (Besides the blog I mean). That list would be so awesome for grandkids to view someday. I'm really enjoying it thus far. Thanks for sharing!

Kira said...

Oh my gosh ... that is one of the places that I really Really want to go. I hope you sent Sarah a post card.