Monday, November 17, 2008

It was like one of my children

I am by nature a pretty care-free guy. I tend to live life in the moment and I don't worry too much about the future. While this is a tremendous blessing when it comes to stress and worry, it makes it very easy for me to procrastinate and to miss commitments I have made. This has been a constant source of frustration for Lisa who is quite opposite in that regard. She worries about everything. She even worries about things that she can't do anything about and that is something I've never understood. One time, not long after we moved to San Diego she bought me an electronic planner hoping it'd make me more responsible. I fell in love with it instantly. Here was a device that could do all my worrying for me and it would simply sound an alarm in time for me to get to what ever meeting or appointment that I had to be to. I could now remember birthdays, dates, meetings and I even would set reminders to fertilize the yard and call home. The problem with that first planner that Lisa got me was that it couldn't synchronize with the computer so one day when it died for whatever reason I lost all my data. That was a sad day but I now knew that I needed such a device and I started researching them. A very good friend of mine, Kirk Knowlton used a palmpilot. The palm pilot was a very new product in 1995 and he had just upgraded to a new one and sold me his old one at a very good price. He was doing me a favor and I'm forever grateful. I have had one ever since and I could not live without it. It has my entire life in there. The palm pilot has evolved over the years and what I had until last Saturday was the Treo 650. It has a much higher resolution screen, a ton of memory, full color display and it is a cell phone as well as a planner. I have it loaded up with about 3,000 phone numbers (every time I make a call I add the number to my Treo) and for each member of my family I have all my bank account numbers, pass words, drivers license numbers, resident alien numbers, social security numbers (and social insurance numbers for Lisa and I), codes for all their padlocks, serial numbers for their bikes and musical instruments, their shots, hundreds of books including all of the scriptures, photo albums, songs, everything. In addition to all of that, I have lots of cool games and important things like the tide tables, periodic table, phases of the moon and the location of different planets and stars. I can load word documents, exel documents and power point presentations. I can even do email and cruise the web on the device but I usually use my laptop for email. Saturday I ran up to Vons to pick up a few items for Sunday (and another container of eggnog) and for some dumb reason I sat my Treo in the shopping cart. I paid for my groceries, loaded the groceries into my car and headed home. I had only been home for a few minutes and I needed a calculator so I went to whip out my handy Treo and it wasn't there. I immediately realized I'd left it in the shopping cart so I ran back up to Vons and it was gone. I checked with the store and no one had handed it in. I called my phone hoping to hear it in one of the hundreds of shopping carts in the store or in the cart coral but to no avail. I feel like I've lost one of my children. It is so sad. The beauty is that the soul of my Treo is not lost. Once I get a new one I can download all of the data from my old Treo into my new one but I'm just a little worried about identity theft. Who ever took it is obviously not an honest person and I've got everything in there. I'll give it a few weeks and then I need to check my credit report (and that of my kids) to make sure nothing fishy is going on. I don't need to worry about the bank accounts, there's nothing in there.

I guess it is about time I upgraded, both Ben and Brandon have newer versions of Palms that I do. I think Justin and I are the only ones with the old 650's.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Okay....insert the word "purse" with Treo and I would think I am totally there with what you are saying.

That Treo "thingy"....yes, I said "thingy" sounds amazing! I am so behind with technology.....but I am sick to my stomach for you thinking about who just took a look at all that information you had in your "purse". Not fun!

Hope you get it back! And soon!

P.S. Dean use to carry a palm everywhere until he got a Mac Laptop. Now THAT is what he carries around (in his man purse) and can't live without. *sigh* At least he's getting some arm workouts carrying it around everyday. : D

Lisa said...

Remember when my purse was stolen in Balboa Park? You are feeling exactly how I felt. It sucks!! (for the lack of a better word)

Kira said...

I will morn the loss of my electronic sibling! I do know how you feel though. I even have memories of your first palm pilot! Your face as you were learning to beam information with Bro. Knowlton in the church gym is something I will never forget!

Poor Justin, can't use his palm pilot now that we are on a cheapo cell plan! Oh well, his schedule isn't so crazy anymore!!!!

Ben Leavitt said...

to the treo we all loved....


goodbye dear friend!