Thursday, November 27, 2008

Turkey Bowl

Years ago when Brandon and Ben were young teenagers the young men in the ward started a tradition. On Thanksgiving morning the boys and their dads go up to Black Mountain park and compete in the Turkey bowl. It started out as fathers against sons but that wasn't feasible with the wide range of ages and so it has grown into a sort of free for all. This morning it started raining so by the time we quit it had turned into a "mud bowl". It was a lot of fun but boy are my legs sore. Dinner was this afternoon and it was very delicious. If I'd been thinking I would have taken a picture. For dinner we were missing Brandon and Kira and their families. Compared to last year it was an empty house but we still had a lot of fun. We had Lisa and I, Ben and Sharley, Alycia, Alex, Sarah and the Missionaries. Peter had to work but they fed him at work and he showed up in time for pie and ice cream.

I have to tell you about the pie. As a teenager I really loved pie but for some reason Mom rarely made it. Once as I was complaining she told me if I wanted to have pie then I should make my own. I did just that and it turned out pretty good. When Lisa and I were just married I told her that my favorite food in the whole world was apple pie and ice cream. She made me one but as a stupid newly wed I told her that my pie was better than hers (stupid). She's never made an apple pie since so every Thanksgiving and Christmas I make two apple pies. Lisa does make the pumpkin pie but I'm only interested in the apple. It is pretty good if I do say so myself. That is one of my pies in the picture. Tonight the girls watched movies and the boys played "Settlers of Catan". I love that game. Ben had Patrick and Derek over so we had a good time.

3 comments:

KarinC said...

Hey Fred Great times!Just read your comments about Main Street. Brings back memories. We had a Turkey Bowl too, Old against Young. I got a touch down pass.
You bake pies, well I bake Mom's Rolls.
Happy Thanksgiving, Fred and Family
Rick

Lynn said...

Oh! I wondered what a "turkey Bowl" was. Now I think I know with KarinC's comment. I thought it was something to do with HUNTING turkeys. : D

Great looking pie! Your mom was SO right in teaching you how to make things yourself. A Great mom she is.

And yes Fred....that was VERY stupid to say what you did to Lisa. LOL! Good on her for letting you continue to make it then.

Kira said...

I loved watching you think up shapes to put in the crust!