Saturday, November 22, 2008

CIF Playoffs


Yesterday was the first CIF playoff game and boy was it a blow out. The final score was 38 - 0. I know the best games are supposed to be the ones where it is a tough fight the whole time but I think I enjoy the games more where the victory is assured. I know, that isn't very sportsman like but perhaps that is why I like to hunt deer with a high powered rifle much more than I would enjoy hunting grizzly bear with a hunting knife. Anyway, the best part of the night was Alex's interception. There were three seconds left on the clock and Hoover was right on our goal line. They threw a pass and if they completed it then they would be on the score board and I figured we'd come this far, why should we let them score with three seconds left. Amazingly, number 27 (that would be Alex) intercepts the ball and heads down the field. He didn't get too far but he kept Hoover from scoring. I think it is so funny that he caught an interception with a cast on his arm. I love it. You'll have to excuse the poor quality of the video. The blanking out of the picture is because a bunch of cute girls in front of us kept waving pom poms in front of the camera. Anyone who knows Alex knows that he is a friendly, fun loving kid. I'm not really sure how it started but at church we always wait in the back lobby while Mom gets her stuff put together and visits with all her friends. It can take a while sometimes so Alex gets board and one time he started teasing this little girl who was also waiting for her parents. The next thing I know there are about ten little kids all running around the lobby chasing Alex and he is having a ball with all of them. Four of little girls are the Kooyman girls. Since that day, every Sunday the Kooyman girls always wait for Alex to come out and they love to tease him and he loves to tease them. They have actually become very good friends. The oldest girl is 8 yrs. old and the youngest is scarcely two. This week they came to Alex's football game just to watch Alex and they sat in front of us. They had brought a little yellow pom pom with them and I knew we had some pom pom's in the van so during half-time I ran out to the van to get them for them. It worked out perfect because we had three of them so that meant that together with their pom pom we had one for each of them. It was pretty tough for the girls to pick out Alex because with the uniforms on they pretty much all look the same. It isn't like the little ones can read yet either and probably don't even know their numbers. Even with their names and numbers I can scarcely find Alex sometimes. I do have to admit though that with his big white cast on his arm it does make it a whole lot easier. After the game we always go down onto the field to say "hi" to Alex before we go home. The girls loved it and Alex was so sweet with them. It made their day and it made my day to see how he treated them.

Brandon and Serene also came down this weekend. A good friend of Brandon's got married today and Brandon figured he could spare enough time from his studies to come and see her. It was great because I also got to see Sydney. She is such a little sweetheart. Brandon had a major paper that was due today at 5:00. He worked on it right until the very end. As 5:00 started drawing near he had me call off the time every minute. He submitted it at 4:58. I asked him what would happen if he was one minute late. He said that the paper was worth 70% of this final grade and if he was even one minute late he would be docked a lot of points. He cut that one way too close. What would have happened if the web site had been overloaded or something? Too Scary. After the wedding we came home and all of us went to see "Twilight". I absolutely loved the movie but trying to be objective, I'm not sure if someone who hadn't read the book would enjoy it as much as I did. All I can say is if you haven't read the book you should.

3 comments:

Kira said...

my friend who came with us hasn't read the book and she enjoyed it a ton too!!!

Lynn said...

I haven't read the books. I don't know if I ever will. I haven't read the Harry Potter series either.......I know, I know.....I don't get out much.

I just had to pop in and tell Alex that he just became the coolest guy in my books. Look at that adorable little fan club of his! So cute. I bet they will never forget how nice he was to them. What an awesome kid you and Lisa are raising.

Lisa said...

It was a good weekend and the Kooyman girls are so cute!! So is Sydney!