Wednesday, November 05, 2008

President Obama It's Your Turn Now

Since I'm quit sure few people want to hear any more about this election I was going to avoid commenting on it. It is such a big event however that I just couldn't let it go away without saying something about it - so here goes.

It is no surprise to anyone that I did not vote for Barack Obama. John McCain aligns more closely with my way of thinking but to be honest I wasn't really happy with anyone I had to choose from and that even included Mitt Romney. Fortunately for all of us, we do live in a democracy and the people have spoken. Obama is our new president and I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Yesterday truly was an historic day. I read that one woman who voted was the child of two slaves. That dark day in our history was not all that long ago. Even when I was a child, segregation was the norm in many parts of America. Today we have a black President and I really think he is a good man. Let's look at his good points. For one, he really can give a good speech. He is bright and good looking. He carries himself well. He appears to be a good family man and is certainly far better than Bill Clinton ever was in that regard. I also think he is a very sincere person and truly does want to do good. It is unquestionable that he has fired up a large segment of our population and if he handles things right perhaps he can do a lot of good.

Obviously I have many concerns about Obama's stated policies but George Bush hasn't used his eight years in office very wisely either so I'm not sure things will get a lot worse. While Obama has made many promises, today he is the leader of the most powerful nation in the world so let's wait and see what he actually does. I'm certainly willing to let him try and I'm hoping for the best. That is the beauty of this country. Bush had his chance and he blew it. The American people threw him out (along with his party) and now we're giving Obama a try. If he blows it there is another election in four years and we can throw him out too. What a wonderful country we live in. In his very powerful acceptance speech last night Obama said.

As Lincoln said to a nation far more divided than ours, “We are not enemies, but friends…though passion may have strained it, it must not break our bonds of affection.” And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn – I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your President too.

I will accept Obama as my president and I will support him until he gives me a good reason not to.

Last night the people spoke on another issue as well and that is the family. At last count 52% of Californian's, 56% of Arizonians and 62% of Floridians chose to preserve the traditional definition of a family as a mother, a father and children. With so much turmoil in the world we don't need to mess with the family.

I love America and I love the democratic process. It is easy to get so into the process that we can lose the big picture. We live in the greatest country in the world (Canada's a close second) and we just chose our leader. Let's give him a chance and see how he does.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Beautifully written!

Lynn said...

Very well done.....except for the Canada is the close second part. : D

Kira said...

I really loved the positive thinking in this post. Thank you ... it was beautifully written.